Random meow'ing from another room? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Random meow'ing from another room?

Toby is about 4 1/2 month old and has started some random meowing from another room and sometimes from the room we're in, but not if if I'm in sight. Of course by the time I get there there's no way for me to tell if he's in the same place as when I was not there. He is very alert, not hiding or anything.

There's definitely no critters or bugs around for him to show me.

Is it just a "come play with me" meow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Banned

Maybe he's just doing a little 'ping' waiting for your 'pong', or it could be a play meow. My Burmese Max will meow at me when he wants to play, be held, eat or when he's announcing a litter box event (important to him). When Max meows at me, I usually meow back, though I don't know what he makes of that.

Max when he wants to play will either head for the stairs (his favorite running spot up and down) or he'll head for the fake squirrel tail on a string and rod toy and 'prompt' me.

Talkative kitties are cute, eh? By the way your Bengal looks amazing. So cool how they created that breed to look like that. How is their temperament overall?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Tom Cat

He's a Bengal, and they're often quite chatty, so there's a good chance he's just talking to himself or anything he happens to find interesting at that particular moment. CeCe does this all the time - although she does have a "come see me" meow, it is a distinct meow, and I can tell the difference. There are other vocalizations she makes seemingly to amuse herself, so I've learned to ignore them rather than go running every time. This could be a toy, the wall, the bed, etc. She also meows lots when she's looking out the window - when she sees cars, dogs, other cats, people, or anything really, so I know it's just normal for her.

Are there windows in the rooms he's meowing from? There's all kinds of stimulating things out there. He might just be trying to get your attention, but if he's anything like my Bengal, and he's not immediately demanding when you arrive on the scene, then I would guess he's just talking to hear himself - or maybe he thinks everything else will respond to his vocalizations the way you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomChick View Post
Are there windows in the rooms he's meowing from? There's all kinds of stimulating things out there. He might just be trying to get your attention, but if he's anything like my Bengal, and he's not immediately demanding when you arrive on the scene, then I would guess he's just talking to hear himself - or maybe he thinks everything else will respond to his vocalizations the way you do.
All od this seems right. He isn't really that vocal, it's just the 2 of us. When I come in he's usually just standing there, not really demanding of me. Like you said, just kind of playing by himself. Nothing of interest out the window, just one of his play rooms with some random boxes and sock and stuff to kick around.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Kitten

Kittens will sometimes do anything to get attention including feining fear/anger and sideways skipping as Fluffy does sometimes when we are watching him.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

Cinderella used to do that. She would stop meowing and start purring the minute I walked into the room.

She had me trained well.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Premier Cat

Mow does this when he wants to play.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Cat Addict

It's an instinctive act; cats will make themselves heard when in a different room or separated from the rest somewhere, to let you know where they are, same as they do in the wild. I find that not all cats do this. Prince and one of my strays do this all the time. I don't know what the appropriate reaction is, but as a poster mentioned above, just answering the "call" is probably the best idea. It's so funny when this stray goes down the stairs to the underground floor in our building for a stroll, she will immediately start the meowing.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Premier Cat

Both my Devons do this too. Alkee often after she's been hunting for her toys and finds one of favorite mousies. Sometimes to say where she is---I say her name and she replies with more meows on her way to where I am. Zuba likes to announce when he's using the litter box, but it's some days and sometimes not. He also like to meow just to hear his own voice, other times he does it in the bedroom when he wants me to get in bed for a nap, so he can have a snuggle session under the covers. Sometimes when both are in different parts of the house one will call for the other.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Cat

Neko does that when she can't see me, if I go down stairs and leave her upstairs she'll come to the top of the stairs and start crying none stop till I call her name then she stops crying and comes down stairs looking for me. I think it's like when a little kid loses sight of their mom/dad and they start calling out for her/him to try and find em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page