For those of you who have multiple cat integration probs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

For those of you who have multiple cat integration probs

I know some of you have had the trouble of getting your cats to accept one another. Just wanted to share a happy note and a reason for some hope.

I got Cap'n Jack roughly a year ago. During this time, Miu would beat him up regularly. If he so much as looked at her, that would send into her in a mood. I could see her face contorted in a disgusted expression as if she was saying 'What are YOU looking at? You filthy man!' Then she'd smack him around to the point where he'd be shaking his head. I felt so sorry for him. He rarely fought back or defended himself. I knew I couldn't intervene too much as they needed to work it out themselves.

Over time, I've noticed her smacking him less and less. It used to be random and at any time. Then it reduced to just before mealtimes. Then she started to obey my commands to leave him alone if it got too rough. Once I saw him staring him down. I told her firmly to leave him alone. She gave him one last disgusted stare then walked off in a huff.

Last night, I finally observed a total turnabout. She ran up to him, skidded to a stop then she bopped him lightly on the head like it was for fun, then she ran off wildly. For some reason, it was so endearing and sweet.

I don't know exactly what I did or what happened to make her change her mind about him. Perhaps it was just the passage of time or maybe because Jack is so good natured. Nevertheless, I wish you all luck in your own integration efforts and hope you'll have success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Premier Cat

I think it's likely the fact that you spoke up and told her you disapproved of her behavior to Cap'n Jack. This happens all the time with my two. Zuba is usually the aggressor, and most of the time I don't interfere, but if I'm in a mood where I don't want to hear Alkee growling and the thumping of them wrestling on the floor is getting to me, I'll speak to Zuba .... it's my tone of voice not the words, because I use different words ("enough", "knock it off", "stop it", or just "Zuba" and give him a hard stare). 99% of the time he will stop and walk away, or Alkee will walk away and he won't go after her.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Not so sure about that. I've disapproved her behavior in the past, but it's just now that she's changed from beating him to tolerating him. In the past, he wouldn't even let him sit beside her when she watched me chop meat or when she's looking out the window. Now sometimes she'll look at him as he comes over, but just goes back to watching me or the window with no fighting. Great change!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Kitten

When we got the kittens, they were younger than the humane society people thought. the vet said they were about 7 or 8 weeks. I was afraid Jack would hurt them so they were always supervised when out of their 'room'.

As they grew and I let them start playing in the rest of the house, and Jack wanted to play, he was surprisingly gentle with them. But he did this one thing (still does sometimes) where if Storm (the female) gets too pushy, he'll sit on her and groom her head/face. She carries on like she's dying but I've watched and he's not hurting her at all. Then when he lets her up, she'll stomp off for 5 minutes then come back to annoy him some more, or they'll end up sleeping in a pile on the top tower of the cat tree.

I did what you did, though. When Jack got too rough or nasty sounding to them I told him to knock it off and he did. Also when they got big enough to try to bully him, I would tell them the same thing. They've figured it out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Isn't it nice when all the furkids get along? When we got to that moment where they started to be more comfortable and tolerant of each other, I was just bursting with joy. Of course there's still the occasional spat but on the whole, it's all good now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page