Cat Forum banner

Solutions for climbing up my screens

831 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  kitbassgirl 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My cat on occassion, usually in the early afternoon, gets absolutely nuts. She often acts paranoid/terrified of me and runs around. I THINK she is just trying to get me to chase her, but I don't know.

Anyway, I live in an apartment style condo, with three large windows with big windowsills. I thought these windows would be a cats dream, and she does like going onto the sills. The problem is, the wire screen is on the inside of the window and the the window opens outward with a crank on the sill. When she goes crazy, she constantly tries to climb these screens. It's getting to the point where I can't even have my blinds open, or she will squeeze through the slats and do it.

Usually she just looks at me, goes all panicky, and leaps up onto the screen and clings there. She has caused some damage already.

I try to leave her alone when she goes crazy like this, because I figure if she sees I am totally non aggressive she will mellow out and calm down. But whenever she clings to the screen I have to grab her immediately to try and prevent more damage from occurring. And then I usually hold her securely and scold her before putting her down, but if she still seems panicky and squirmy I don't want her to just "escape" and do more damage. So does anyone have any suggestions for keeping her off my window screens? I'm getting tired of being in a dark apartment, and I want her to enjoy the windows, but not like this.

Thanks for your help.

About the kitten: 5 month old LaPerm

See less See more
#2 ·
If you want to just keep her off the window sill I know my cats HATE foil. They hate the noise it makes and the texture. When we first got them they would go behind the couch and climb up the back digging their claws into the leather. So we made lil tubes of foil and put it behind the couch, they went back there once and freaked out! They HATED the texture and had to tiptoe back out, walking partly on the baseboard so they wouldn't have to touch it. And now they don't even try to go back there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.