Is it ok? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Is it ok?

I recently asked about my 6 month old in spayed cat. She does her business wherever she pleases, sometimes in her box, sometimes on my expensive rug ( which I have had to throw away). Anyway some people said she might be coming into season!

She is a Norwegian Forest Cat and they are slower to mature so I thought no, not yet.

But since yesterday she is teasing my 8 month old neutered boy!! Lying down with her rear end in the air. Of course him bring a boy is trying to take full advantage of it!

My question is... Is it alright to leave them alone together? I know there is no risk of pregnancy, but would he hurt her if he was able to have his wicked way with her?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned

I think it's time to take the little **** to the vet to get spayed, if she can't get your little boy to satisfy her itch she will seek to escape and get taken care of that way.
Also the yowling and other antics of a cat in heat get annoying really fast.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Premier Cat

Why don't you get her spayed now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Cool Cat

Slow mature only means they will not reach their full size until 2-3 years, but sexual maturity is usually the same time as other cat. So I think you should get her spayed immiediately after her heat is finished. If female cat go through heat without mated, it will have negative impact on their health.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mum View Post
I know there is no risk of pregnancy,...
Yes. Yes there is. Cats can get pregnant at 6 months old.

From spay-usa

Quote:
For many years, veterinarians were taught that cats and dogs had to be a year old to be spayed or neutered. Later, they were taught that six months was appropriate. Today we know that kittens and pups can be spayed or neutered at the age of two months (or two pounds). The American Veterinary Medical Association has endorsed this practice called Early Age Neutering; the animals recover more quickly from surgery when they are young. Today some vets will spay/neuter at eight weeks of age, while other adhere to the old practice of six months of age. The average age at which pets are spayed or neutered is four months.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Cat Addict

I think she meant that since her male cat is neutered her female cat can't get pregnant from him.

Becky, the proud momma of:

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, she can. It happens all the time. Really.

Marie's school grades:

Cooking A+
Math A+
Reading and Comprehension D-

oops

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Tom Cat

The peeing could definitely be her coming into call.

As to leaving them alone together, so long as they are getting along it should be ok. One might feel harnessed by the other.
He being neutered will either ignore her or may mount her without actually getting his bits in the right place.

Boys take up to 2 months after neutering to no longer be a risk to entire girls, so depending on how long ago he was done she could still get pregnant.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for all your replies and advice.

She is definitely in heat now. She has all the symptoms

My boy was neutered only a month ago so I am keeping them apart or watching them all the time. But she is crying all the time and although I feel sorry that I have to keep her locked in another room I don't want any accidents.

I will take her to the vets tomorrow but it will probably be a week or so till I can get her spayed. Also last time I took her for a checkup the vet said with being a Norweigan Forest she wouldn't spay her until she was at least a year old.

How long does the season usually last for?
Thanks again
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Cat Addict

There is no way she needs to wait until she is a year old. I would find a new vet if he won't fix her. Being in heat is very uncomfortable for the poor girl and the sooner she doesn't have to go through that cycle anymore the better.

Becky, the proud momma of:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page