Cat has problems with independence? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat has problems with independence?

Hi all,

Whenever I come home from work, or wherever, I hear my cat coming from my bedroom. Although I can't guarantee this, I am 99% certain she comes out from under the bed.

Whether I am gone for 2 hours or 12, this is what happens. The other day I had done some house cleaning and put all her toys in a neat pile (but very accessible for the kitten), and left for work. I returned many hours later and nothing was amiss at all, no toys touched, no ruffled blankets, nothing.

She pretty much just stayed under the bed the whole time. When I sleep, she hides under the bed as well. She will usually bother me a handful of times when I am sleeping to try and wake me up, but if I don't get out of bed she goes back under the bed and waits a bit longer. She will wait forever.

She doesn't play too much by herself, and usually tries to get my attention, but when I am busy she will do some of her own exploring and occasionally check things out in rooms I am not in, as long as I am awake.

This seems weird to me. If I go to work for 8 hours, and then I'm tired and go to bed right after for 8 hours (shift work), I highly doubt she wants to be under that bed doing nothing for 16 hours. Aren't cats supposed to be these independent creatures? She's not very affectionate, she's just clingy.

Is there a way I can encourage her to enjoy herself, explore, and play when I am not home, rather than just hiding under the bed whenever I'm not available?

Other note: She NEVER sleeps on a bed, a couch or any kind of cushion. Only on the floor under the bed, on the floor in the middle of the living room (rarely), or, of all places, on the hand towel in the bathroom, but only when the bedroom is closed off to her. Also seems weird to me. It's almost as if she's afraid to relax in "exposed" places or places that I like to relax. She is 5 months old and I have had her since she was 10 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Tom Cat

i am pretty sure my cats pretty much sleep when i am at work. there have been days where i have been at home sick and they slept most of the day. one of my girls also sleeps under my bed, which worried me at first, but she seems pretty happy and active when we are home, so i'm thinking she just likes it and sees it as one of "her" spots.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

My cats LOVE being under my bed. It's Charlee's favorite place.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
My cats LOVE being under my bed. It's Charlee's favorite place.
It's not so much she goes under the bed, it's that she won't leave under the bed until I get up, and she hides there constantly when I'm not at home. When I am at home and awake, she almost never goes under the bed for more than a minute. I expect her to have things she wants to do when I am not paying attention to her, but she doesn't do anything, just hides.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Some cats take longer to come out of their shell. Cleo is doing things now, four years later, that she's never done before. Every cat has their own little schedule and journey.

A year from now, you might be posting that she's driving you crazy, constantly wanting attention!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Premier Cat

Taken away from her momacat and litter mates at 10 weeks is too young, and she likely did miss out in a lot of rough housing, chasing, pouncing and playing. Most kitties start to play around 6 weeks., but it is really in the weeks from 8-12 wks.+ plus that they really get into wild play. Could be she never really experienced it, so doesn't know what to do. If you sit on the floor with her, can you get her to chase a cord, if you drag it around you? Or if you use a fishing-pole type of toy, like "Da Bird"? Try and get her to play....roll up some small foil or paper balls and try to get her to chase after them. Another kitty (at least 12 wks. old + that's been well socialized to people and litter mates and that's confident and playful may be able to bring her out of her shell. Is it possible for you to have another one?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
Taken away from her momacat and litter mates at 10 weeks is too young, and she likely did miss out in a lot of rough housing, chasing, pouncing and playing. Most kitties start to play around 6 weeks., but it is really in the weeks from 8-12 wks.+ plus that they really get into wild play. Could be she never really experienced it, so doesn't know what to do. If you sit on the floor with her, can you get her to chase a cord, if you drag it around you? Or if you use a fishing-pole type of toy, like "Da Bird"? Try and get her to play....roll up some small foil or paper balls and try to get her to chase after them. Another kitty (at least 12 wks. old + that's been well socialized to people and litter mates and that's confident and playful may be able to bring her out of her shell. Is it possible for you to have another one?
I don't know, people seemed to miss my point. She tries to get me to play with her ALL THE TIME. She roughhouses a lot and bites and stuff. She is a playful energetic kitty.

The problem is, she seems too dependent on me. I thought cats were independent, but I can't go into a room without her being in there too. The weird thing is, she almost never looks for affection. So when I'm around, yeah, she is everywhere and playful and all that. I'm not complaining about this, but her being social is not the problem.

When I am NOT around or am sleeping, she is under the bed, and only under the bed. That's what's weird to me. Like she can't do anything unless I'm present. Like she's afraid or something. That's what I am scratching my head about. Like my example, I was gone for 8 hours at work, and saw that my house was untouched, she came out from under the bed to see me, then I went straight to bed for another 8 hours, and she hid under the bed that entire time as well. So she was waiting 16 hours doing nothing but hiding under the bed until she could finally interact with me. Whereas I would think she would get tired of sitting under the bed and trying to get in trouble on her own without me. Make sense?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Cat

cats like companionship, some more than others. perhaps get her a little friend. (another cat). I couldn't have just one cat. I'd feel bad leaving them alone for so long.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoirfaire View Post
I don't know, people seemed to miss my point.
I think Catlover's response was EXACTLY the point. She was taken away from her mother too early and hasn't learned how to ACT like a cat.

Imo, her neediness is a direct result of that. If she never learned to be an independent cat and was pulled away from mom at an impressionable age she doesn't know how to feel safe when you're not there.

As someone else suggested another young playful kitten might just be the ticket. They can bond with each other and keep each other company and you might not be the focus of her constant obsession.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia100 View Post
cats like companionship, some more than others. perhaps get her a little friend. (another cat). I couldn't have just one cat. I'd feel bad leaving them alone for so long.
I have read a lot on getting two cats instead of one, and I admit I would kind of like to do it so that she has some company to play with.

Unfortunately, it's probably not an option. I have cat allergies, she is supposed to be a hypoallergenic cat, and I have had fewer reactions with her than I ever had. But I still have them. Doubling the cats, especially with a rescue cat would probably make things much worse.

In addition, the added expense of a second cat is something I can't really afford right now.

Still, thank you for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page