Up Cat, Down Cat. Curious! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Up Cat, Down Cat. Curious!

Here's an observation I've made with my 4 garage cats over a period of weeks:

They all like to play with a string on the end of a stick.

Two of the cats will "loose track" of the string if it is lifted off the floor and gets above their eye level. If I dangle the string a foot off the flood in front of them they don't seem to notice that it's there and if they do, they just stare at it. On the other hand, if the string is dragged across the floor they are all over it. "Ground hunters?"

Two of the cats will also react/chase the string on the floor, but, in addition, will follow it with their eyes if it is lifted/jerked off the floor. If I hold the string a foot off the floor in front of them, they will rise/jump at the elevated string. "Bird hunters?"

All four were/are feral and can/do hunt. I've been brought rats, mice, moles, birds, rabbits, but I'm not sure who is getting what.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed the same thing? There seems to be cats whose attention or awareness is primarily in a "more or less" two dimensional horizontal plane at ground level and cats whose attention or awareness is more 3 dimensional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Cat Addict

All of my cats grew up chasing a narrow red ribbon tied to a yardstick. This and Turbo Scratcher are their stock toys. They all love to chase and catch the ribbon in their claws - some then like to bite it and will run away with the ribbon in their mouths, yardstick trailing behind.
They show a lot less interest when the ribbon is dangled. They definitely prefer it dragged along.

Very briefly, I had a wand and string connected to a bunch of feathers, A kind of rudimentary Da Bird, I guess. They would jump in the air after that all right; it only lasted a couple of play sessions.

I don't know how cats view the world. Differently than we do, for sure. One of my cats, Boxer, is the best hunter of all. Curiously, he seems to have a hard time seeing stationary objects (a treat) when it is right in front of him, as close as his feet. But he will sit on the porch and go into alert mode if he sees the slightest movement in the hedgerow, about 50 feet away.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Cat Addict

Yes, I've read some breeds are ground hunters and others are also air hunters. However, I'm not sure if Prince prefers the toys dragged because he's a ground hunter, or because he's not in shape anymore, overweight, older. He used to enjoy jumping as well, but never as much as dragged toys.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Tom Cat

One of my cats prefers jumping for toys and loves toys with feathers. The other one prefers to chase them across the ground and goes on regular 'mouse patrols' around the house. She can't be bothered while she's on the prowl. They were both born feral. I think each cat just has a preference for a particular sort of prey and prefers toys that resemble that prey.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Cat

one of my cat loves to jump for things, and does ground hunting. The other cat doesn't really jump, only ground.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I'm continually amazed . .

at how different cats are from one another. The more time I spend with them, the more I notice the differences in personalities and abilities. And that's just the things that we "humans" can perceive.

Thankfully, they don't all look alike. Try as I might, I can't tell one Wombat from another.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Cat

I've noticed my two cats definitely have a different hunting style though I'm not sure if it's 2-D vs 3-D. Sammy will chase and jump on pretty much anything that moves (including mommy! though he will release quickly once he realize who he's actually captured). Alex on the other hand will sit and wait and watch before he does the pouncing. It's difficult to play with them both at the same time because Sammy never gets tired of playing and Alex's sit and wait will continue until Sammy stops. So two methods for sure but I don't know if it's tied to perception.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Cat

I read somewhere that cat's eyes and nervous systems are tuned
to react to horizontal motion. It's the whole evolutionary hunting
thing. That might explain some of the differences you've seen.

Harv
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Cat Addict

I've read recently that some cats are birders, others are mousers, and others are bug-gers... Mine are certainly no mousers.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Cat

I'd worry if they were human-ers (as in man-eating). Nah, too big a bite.

From what I've read around here, some humans are driven buggers by
their cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page