Marking with anal gland fluid? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Marking with anal gland fluid?

I'm not sure if this is in the right section. I picked behavior because I'm not sure if it is marking or not. It is kinda gross though.

I think he is marking because this has all been happening on the dog bed, the same dog bed! I thought he was peeing, but I caught him squatting once, and just threw the bed in the washer.

Next time I came home to a wet spot on the dog bed, I went to throw it in the washer and noticed it did not smell even remotely like cat pee. But stinky none the less. It also didn't look like enough to be urine. The reason I think this was anal gland fluid was because I also found some of it in my closet. It was in a pair of synthetic 'puffy' pants, smelled the same, and was milky white looking. The pants were obviously made into a 'nest' that he had spent some time lying in. He also lies on the dog bed.

Part of me wants to believe that he wouldn't lie in something he marked, but I am not sure if he's just leaking or what. The fluid isn't thick like the dog's when he gets blocked up, and he doesn't scoot or attack (groom) his anal area.

So, has anyone's cat marked with anal glands? Does anyone's cat leak? Do cats have different symptoms of being impacted than dogs? Any tips on how to get rid of it? It stinks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Premier Cat

Try wiping his anus every day with an old washcloth or makeup remover pad that's been run under some hot water and then wrung out. If that doesn't improve things, have him checked out by a vet.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Tom Cat

I was having a problem somewhat like the one you're having.. But not quite. There hasn't been any liquid or anything like that, but I've noticed Apollo backing into a corner with his tail lifted and going through the typical "motions" of spraying.. But nothing happens. The only thing I notice is that his back side smells funny.. It's not urine, it's not poop.. But just a weird smell. He notices it too, mostly when he's laying down on me or on his bed and he starts grooming himself, he obviously smells something on his back end and starts cleaning himself. It's gotten so bad at times that I've taken a warm washcloth to his entire back side, legs and tail just to get rid of the smell. I have no idea whatsoever what it is, but it's been going on for a long while now; off and on. So yeah, basically I have no answers for you, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page