Play fighting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
F/3
Cat

Play fighting

Is ok to ruff around with your cat. Let him softly bite your hand while holding on with front paws also doing the rabbit kicking with his hind legs and long as he does it gently. No claws and soft bites. Or am I teaching him bad habbits.
I have a Savannah.
Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Since so many members post about help trying to stop that behavior, I'd say don't start.

It's tempting, though. Sometimes I lose my head and do that with Charlee, then I regret it because she has sharp little claws.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
F/3
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Since so many members post about help trying to stop that behavior, I'd say don't start.

It's tempting, though. Sometimes I lose my head and do that with Charlee, then I regret it because she has sharp little claws.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and stop doing it. His back feet feels nice and soft when he's doing it. Your putting trust in you pet because you know that he could shred your are if he put his rear claws out but he doesnt.
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Cat

Ginfis does it too. But she is doing it wth thr rug in a front of our bathtub. So noone gets harmed. Otherwise she is very gentle. She likes to attack me from behind the corner (when she thinks that I dont see her) when I walk around, but she uses only her pwas. She never puts out her claws thought...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Cool Cat

Don't let cats play with your hand/arm/any body part. If they get over sitmulated, they will bite, hard. Also cats don't know limits if you indulge them. The bite may be soft and kick may be gentle now, but wait until one year later.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

Evenly when my Samantha was elderly she would occasionally get worked up and latch onto Papa's hand resulting in scratches.
I never blamed her it was my fault, this is why it's best to have toys and scratching posts that kitty can work out on instead of their human's hands.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Jr. Cat

I agree with the above posts - don't let them play rough with you like that. I've warned my husband to not do so since if any cat tries to bite the baby they are kicked out within 10 seconds. PERIOD. Likely the same if they bite my daughter, too, though she's old enough to know what she's doing for the most part (she's 6)

I let mine hold my arm while they are on their backs and lick, but no teeth at all and no kicking. They wrap their legs around me and lick, and then I'll pet their bellies if they want me to, but that's it. No teeth, so as they don't bite in the future with the same play style.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 03:19 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

He might like one of these to attack
KONG Kickeroo Tiger Print Catnip Cat Toy at PETCO
Petco Original Loofa Terry Dog Toy at PETCO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page