Our cat won't sit on, or next to us;( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via Skype™ to Alyson Jayne
Our cat won't sit on, or next to us;(

Over a month ago our adopted stray cat had the op then underwent a personality transformation, becoming really affectionate, letting us stroke her everywhere, pick her up, and she likes being held as she purrs like crazy, doing the paw kneading thing.

However, she only seems to be interested in getting our attention when we're doing something?? When we're sitting on the sofa or lying in bed and have the time to pet her, she never hops up, or sits, or lies next to us.

Has anybody experienced something similar with their cat, and were they able to overcome it somehow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Premier Cat

You bet. Murphy is especially in our faces when we're on the phone. A couple days ago I actually hung up on my Mom because Murphy was nuzzling me and took a big bite out of my hair.

I've never thought of it that way, but you're right, it's always when you're doing something.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Premier Cat

Trying to get attention when I'm doing something? All the time, especially Alkee who is a real bug when I'm on the phone. She'll start pushing papers, pens whatever off the desk. When I'm on the computer she'll insist on helping me type, poking at the keys with her paws. She's got to know that it annoys me, so now she'll sit between my arms or beside the keyboard as I type and push her nose on my hand while I'm typing....and drooling! You didn't mention how old your cat is, but this may be a phase and she'll decide she's want to sit in your lap eventually. Some cats aren't lap sitters tho, and prefer just to be beside you or near you. When I had longhair cats they sometimes sat in my lap but not for long, as it seemed they got too hot or something? It doesn't always indicate that the cat doesn't have affection for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Kitten

Tiny was like that a lot when he was younger. He only wanted attention when he could knock something out of my hands, or when I was asleep (in fact he still likes to lick my hands right as I start falling asleep). But when I wanted him on my lap? No thanks. It's something that he eventually grew out of somewhat. (He still has his days where he goes deaf to me asking him to jump up)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Jr. Cat

Yes, Ody was/is like that. When we first adopted him, it took him a good solid 2 months before he felt comfortable/confident enough that he wasn't going anywhere and that he had his forever home. From there, he slowly (as he matured) started sleeping/sitting next to/on us. He's 2 now, we've had him just over a year now, and he's still doesn't like to be held or loved on. Although, it's perfectly OK for him to love on us! His favorite spot to lick people on is between the eyes/above the nose. He's a very affectionate boy.

My first cat, Charlie, was like that too. And as he aged and went into his Seniorhood, you could not keep him OFF my lap!

Of course every kitty is different, but it could be an age thing. As she gets older, she might (probably) become a lap cat. Although I doubt the "PAY ATTENTION TO MEEEEEE not the PHONE!" will ever change, LOL.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Senior Cat

try having a few small treats with you when you sit down, give them out one at time over time with lots of petting.. if flattery doesn't work there is always bribery!!! caution you may end up with more of a lap cat than you might want..

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via Skype™ to Alyson Jayne
Minty is now chilling on the sofa with us :)

We went away for a week, and when we returned it seemed that Minty realised how much she missed us! The same evening she jumped on the sofa, and now lets us stroke her belly as she snoozes next to us She still doesn't sit on our laps, but if I'm holding her to my chest then sit on the sofa in a reclining position she totally relaxes!
It's taken four 5 months for her to turn from a cat who snarled and swiped at us to one who trusts us completely, and we're so happy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0005.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	3903  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0083.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	3904  

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

What a great update!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Jr. Cat

That's GREAT!! Hopefully she continues to get better and more loving. All the best!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Jr. Cat

Murphy rules!
Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page