plays very hard - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
F/3
Cat

plays very hard

My F3 Savannah plays so hard that he pants like a dog. if you feel his chest it feels like his Heart is beating a million times a min. He likes his feather toy on the end of a stick. I have never seen a cat play so hard. He is the fastest cat I have ever seen. Has anybody worried about there cat having a heart attack from playing to hard? (**** this sounds stupid as I type it)
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Premier Cat

It's likely breed related---the hard playing that is, but to be sure, have you had your cat's heart checked by a vet? Panting after play can be indicative of a heart problem, especially if he takes more than 5-10 minutes or so to recover. And no, it doesn't "sound stupid" to question whether a cat can have a heart attack from playing too hard.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned

I look at it as you would a football player getting all worked up in the game. He sweats hard, breathes fast and his heart races from the physical exertion. He need stime on the side line after a while to cool down. Sounds natural to me. I wouldnt worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Premier Cat

Book plays until he collapses panting. He'll rest for a few minutes and then he's back at it again.

It definitely doesn't take him 5-10 minutes to recover though. After a minute or two he's up and racing around again.

*ETA: Also, it's not just regular plain old play that causes Book to pant. It's only with a wand toy and he's leaping into the air and really running and jumping a LOT.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
F/3
Cat

it only happens with his wand toy (i couldn't think of the name) he recovers quickly. but his little Heart races so hard.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Kitten

Sounds pretty normal to me. Remember, cats are short distance sprinters. They're built to go all out for a few minutes in pursuit of prey then rest. They get warm fast and have relatively small lung capacity which keeps the body slim and streamlined. Think of a Cheetah. They can sprint for about 30 seconds before they overheat. Your cat is the same way. I have a cat that goes nuts over the feather toy too, so to accommodate him, we have several short play sessions with a 5 minutes rest in between for him to recover. After 5 or 6 of those, he's ready to rest for a while and take a nap. It's good that watch and stop playing when you see him start panting. That's a good indication that it's time for a break.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimalkinTheCheetoh View Post
Sounds pretty normal to me. Remember, cats are short distance sprinters. They're built to go all out for a few minutes in pursuit of prey then rest. They get warm fast and have relatively small lung capacity which keeps the body slim and streamlined. Think of a Cheetah. They can sprint for about 30 seconds before they overheat. Your cat is the same way. I have a cat that goes nuts over the feather toy too, so to accommodate him, we have several short play sessions with a 5 minutes rest in between for him to recover. After 5 or 6 of those, he's ready to rest for a while and take a nap. It's good that watch and stop playing when you see him start panting. That's a good indication that it's time for a break.
I totally agree. Sasha used to play with da bird until he would pant as well. When he was younger he couldn't gauge when he needed a break, now he's much better at it. He is about 9 mos, and when he plays too hard, he will plop down and take a breather and after a minute or two, he's back and at it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page