Is it okay to train my cat not to clean himself? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
joh
Kitten

Is it okay to train my cat not to clean himself?

Personally I find it smelly and gross that he does this, I think he would be much cleaner if he didnt lick himself. if I inturrupted him when he does this would that have any negative effect on him or is this something cats need to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Tom Cat

Cats need to do this, don't interrupt. If you've ever seen and ailing or elderly cat who has stopped grooming itself, you'll understand how necessary it is.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Premier Cat

Would you be happy if someone told you that you weren't allowed to shower any longer? I bet you'd feel pretty gross pretty quick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Banned

How is it smelly?
Cat's spend a large portion of their time grooming themselves, it's part of their nature.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

You want smelly?

That would be a cat that doesn't clean itself, walks around with poop stuck to his butt and gets it all over everything he sits on. It'll be on his paws, too, but at least you'll be able to tell where he hangs out during the day, just follow the poo-prints.

And extra special? The pee dropping off his bum when he jumps out of the litter box and doesn't clean himself.

Bottom line, yes, it's gross (to us), but very, very necessary.

Even more irritating? The fact that they're so freaking picky about food and yet they clean their own butts!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Premier Cat

It's a natural instinct for cats to lick themselves all over. The saliva of a cat neutralizes any odor and they do it is a protection from predators. You should not discourage him from doing this. If his coat is smelly from licking, then he has a problem in his mouth, which could be periodontal disease, bad gingivitis etc.. You should have his mouth checked by a vet as he may require medication and/or dental care which is very important, because if it is not taken care of it can affect his health in a bad way. There should be no odor to a healthy cat's coat, even if it gets wet, like there is to a dog's.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 01:55 AM
Cool Cat

That a healthy cat cleans itself is one of the charms for me. I love that cats are so clean. I was a little freaked when I first came to this forum to see a video of a cat being bathed. I'd never seen or heard of this for a healthy cat.

I used to have a little routine with Zenobi that when I passed her, I would run the back of my fingers over her forehead. She loved it, but I wasn't permitted to do it until she'd licked my fingers. Licking is so natural to them that they'd be lost without it. Poor Zenobi, when she got sick and stopped drinking, her tongue got too dry for her to lick herself and she hated it.

JusJim
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:22 AM
F/3
Cat

My 10 year old long hair Himalyan has the worst breath ever. He can be two feet away and yawn and I would know it. He cleans himself all the time and his fur smells so nice and clean. Nothing like his breath. With his long hair he spends a good amount of time cleaning his butt. He'll do it at the most improper time. Like when there is company.
Mark
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F/3 View Post
My 10 year old long hair Himalyan has the worst breath ever. He can be two feet away and yawn and I would know it. He cleans himself all the time and his fur smells so nice and clean. Nothing like his breath. With his long hair he spends a good amount of time cleaning his butt. He'll do it at the most improper time. Like when there is company.
Mark
Just my 2 cents: If your cat has such horrific breath, like the previous poster mentioned, there is probably something wrong with his teeth - at the very least periodontal disease or gingivitis - at the worst, an abscess. Take it from me, you want to take care of this ... my Mimi has tooth resorption and just had 6 teeth pulled that the dental vet said were likely causing her an enormous amount of discomfort. I already see a change in her personality and comfort level even though she is still recuperating.

As for cats cleaning themselves - I find nothing more soothing than to sit and watch a cat clean themselves. It is necessary for them. I do have a groomer that brushed out my Princess (RIP) and he would always ask if I wanted to give her a bath and my answer was always "No thank you - she is self-cleaning"
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Cat

no, you can't! It is against their nature. They need to do it!

my cat cleans herself very often and I smells so nice! I recommend, as others in this therad, get your kitty to the vet to check his/hers teeth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page