Cat behavior confusing me. - Page 4 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Cat

Sometimes it can take a while to transition a cat from dry to wet also. The lady I got Sienna from told me she would only eat dry and refused all canned. It took me a week to get her to transition over completely. However, for some cats it can be quite a bit slower. Just have patience! There are some great articles on transitioning out there. You'll probably see many references to this site .. it has a lot of great information:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
*** the Destroyer ***
~~ ~~ (and Sharon) ~~ ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Jr. Cat

Definitely don't smack him like the breeder did. If he's doing something repetetively that you don't want him to do, a lot of people use spray bottles. Most cats hate to be sprayed, but it doesn't hurt them at all. Remember if you do decide to get a spray bottle to:

-Use clean water of course, and buy a new empty bottle from a dollar store, not one that was used for a cleaner
-Make sure to spray him while he's in the act of doing whatever it is you don't want him to do. (If you do it after, even only a moment after, he may get confused about why he was sprayed, or think it was for something different)
-Say a stern "NO!" every time you do it. That way, you may eventually be able to get rid of the bottle and just use the word "NO!" and he'll understand.

Sorry if someone already covered this, I haven't read the entire thread, just the first page.

Another thing that not a lot of people mention is that a lot of cats go a little nuts after they've had a poop. I have 2 cats. Minto is a 6 year old female and runs around the house like a crazy cat after pooping. She'll get up speed and then slide across the kitchen floor several times. It's funny to watch. Our little kitten, Piper, who is 15 weeks old, will also run around like a crazy kitty, but she will also scratch and bite everything in sight for a few mins after a poop.
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebreak View Post
Definitely don't smack him like the breeder did. If he's doing something repetetively that you don't want him to do, a lot of people use spray bottles. Most cats hate to be sprayed, but it doesn't hurt them at all. Remember if you do decide to get a spray bottle to:

-Use clean water of course, and buy a new empty bottle from a dollar store, not one that was used for a cleaner
-Make sure to spray him while he's in the act of doing whatever it is you don't want him to do. (If you do it after, even only a moment after, he may get confused about why he was sprayed, or think it was for something different)
-Say a stern "NO!" every time you do it. That way, you may eventually be able to get rid of the bottle and just use the word "NO!" and he'll understand.

Sorry if someone already covered this, I haven't read the entire thread, just the first page.

Another thing that not a lot of people mention is that a lot of cats go a little nuts after they've had a poop. I have 2 cats. Minto is a 6 year old female and runs around the house like a crazy cat after pooping. She'll get up speed and then slide across the kitchen floor several times. It's funny to watch. Our little kitten, Piper, who is 15 weeks old, will also run around like a crazy kitty, but she will also scratch and bite everything in sight for a few mins after a poop.
I wouldn't dream of smacking him so there is no worries there. The odd thing is that I haven't seen any bad behavior from him. He's gotten over excited and ran into some vases I have sitting at my fireplace. I figured having a kitten is just like having a toddler running around I would have to kitty proof my home to make it his home too.

The only other thing is in the middle of the night he will bite at my elbow to wake my up. If I don't get up he will bite harder, but putting my arms under the covers and ignoring his behavior soon makes him stop and he goes back to head butting me and chewing on my ear. Which I don't see a problem with.

The crazy behavior after pooping makes a lot of sense. I have noticed he will run crazy around the house for five minutes after using his litter box. I hadn't really made a connection with it before. The only other time he runs around crazy is about four in the morning and about ten at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Cat Addict

You're not alone in being an out of the blue cat mommy. I didn't even like cats when someone convinced me to start feeding the strays downstairs, then one of them got into my apt. and I had zero idea about what one's supposed to do. I also didn't know anyone who understood anything about cats. Now 1 and a half years later, I have 3 cats (2 that sneaked into the apt. and refuse to leave and 1 I had to adopt because she's such a scaredy cat she suffered terribly in the streets, I couldn't sleep at night thinking of her alone and scared under some bush, now I sleep blissfully with her hugging me all night). We're a happy family.

Cats are works in progress. Whatever he is / does today, will change with time. Habits, preferences, behaviors. Cats love routine and love to change that routine after a while into a new routine.

Rocco is a beauty, and one very lucky guy. Thank you so much for doing what you did!

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straysmommy View Post
You're not alone in being an out of the blue cat mommy. I didn't even like cats when someone convinced me to start feeding the strays downstairs, then one of them got into my apt. and I had zero idea about what one's supposed to do. I also didn't know anyone who understood anything about cats. Now 1 and a half years later, I have 3 cats (2 that sneaked into the apt. and refuse to leave and 1 I had to adopt because she's such a scaredy cat she suffered terribly in the streets, I couldn't sleep at night thinking of her alone and scared under some bush, now I sleep blissfully with her hugging me all night). We're a happy family.

Cats are works in progress. Whatever he is / does today, will change with time. Habits, preferences, behaviors. Cats love routine and love to change that routine after a while into a new routine.

Rocco is a beauty, and one very lucky guy. Thank you so much for doing what you did!
I could so end up with three cats if I'm not careful. Luckily where I live we don't have stray cats. They get picked up by shelters very quickly. The way I'm feeling I think I would be taking in any stray I saw. It's hard to think that over a month ago I thought of cats as strange little things I didn't want to be around. I was so a dog person it was unbelievable. Now I don't seem myself ever getting another dog.

I can see they are works in progress. Rocco is doing more and more things every day. It's like watching a toddler figuring out the world for the first time. I'm having so much fun with him.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I am a creature of habit too. I get up at the same time everyday go to my home office at the same time, eat dinner at the same time and go to bed. It's like groundhog day every day in my house. So Rocco is following suit. Although he loves watching TV too. The Olympics are on tv here all day so he'll sit and watch that for hours. I had a dog who loved watching soccer, but I've never heard of a cat liking tv.

Last edited by marie73; 08-08-2012 at 09:58 PM.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Cat

My Cornish Rex boy likes nature programs....both play games on my iPad.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Premier Cat

When I go to work I hear Shepherd Book howling while MOwMOw climbs on him and humps him..... mine don't need TV they entertain each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page