Fav. cat toys - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Fav. cat toys

Our new kitties are settling in well. We have had them for almost 2 months now. We have a spare room where they have their litter box and a cozy place to sleep. We also bought a small cat tree (want to get a bigger one) and one of those cardboard scratching ramps. We have a few toys that family has brought by. I'd like to get them some more toys. Our vet said she has some that she puts treats/dry food in that the cats have to work to get the food/treats out. I haven't bought one of those yet. I am looking for suggestions for some great cat toys, any favorites your would recommend?

Most days we are home and my kids play with the cats and get them moving for a while but days when we are not home much I'd like to get them something to keep them busy when they are alone or even at night when we are all in bed. Any toys that you like that your cats enjoy on their own and that are safe to leave them alone with when you are not home? I look at some of the cat toys at the pet store and can't help but think, is that safe to leave out for them unsupervised? Some of them have very small pieces just dangling off that look like they would take much to come off and the one with long string that I wonder if a cat ever gets tangled up in that. Am I being to cautious? Are there some toy types that are not safe to leave out when we are gone?

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Tom Cat

Fav. cat toys

Every cat will be different, but you're right to have concerns about string. If ingested, it can be extremely dangerous.

My kitten got at a toy that I thought I had put away and ate a long string. Luckily, he vomited it up a day or 2 later, but it was very nerve wracking!

Some cats couldn't care less about string though.

Mine likes his ball in a track that he bats around. I hear it going at night sometimes, and I consider this a very "safe" solo toy.

Keep in mind that your kitties are probably sleeping most of the day when no one is home so don't feel bad if the tos are exactly where you left them in the morning when you get home at night.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Jr. Cat

The kittens are constantly finding random things to play with and have yet to use their scratchers (but they do love their cat tree). I picked up two generic bags of toys that were holiday themed after Christmas and they love everything in it (we even got a bag for $1 last weekend at Petco). Other toys they love:

* Cardboard Rolls
* Paper bags
* Any kind toy with feathers (but they dislike ones that have catnip)
* Mouse Hunter
* CatIt Play Circuit
* Cat Dental Mint Stick

They have a lot of toys that we keep in two separate baskets (one in our room and one in the living room) and we rotate their toys every three days. One of the kittens will sometimes get annoyed with his current selection so he'll actually go into the boxes to retrieve a new toy. It works out well for us. I don't think we have any toys that require supervision so we leave them either out or give them easy access to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Tom Cat

Fav. cat toys

Mine like the ball in a track toy as well. They also like the little balls. Our younger cat and dog loves the laser light point. Lol

R.I.P. Patches (1998 - 12/3/10) & KC (4/9/99 - 3/13/13)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Tom Cat

I have this little laser toy that is like a small bird and it rocks back and forth when they bat it an it can spin around - the laser only comes on then they bat it, so it is good for them to play with when people aren't around. The laser will move back and forth across the floor depending on how they bat at it. Mine really like this toy.

If you feed dry food, there are lots of interactive feeders that make them work for their meals. Those are good for slowly feeding them and making them think / work for their food if you feed kibble.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 04:18 AM
Cat

My boy has one of those cat food balls. This one:

He likes it a lot and it keeps him occupied for about half an hour while he eats. He also likes his ball track, this one:

We joined 2 of the tracks together to make it bigger. His other favorites are his Kong Wubba:

and a peppermint chew toy that I bought at WalMart. In addition to these, he has a wide array of catnip mice and some roly balls. His other toys I keep out of reach because he likes to chew on and eat things he shouldn't and I need to keep him safe!

Loving Declan (5 yr, 15 lb orange tabby), Purrcy (1 yr, 15 lb tuxedo), and Matisse (12 week, lynx point Siamese)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 AM
Senior Cat

Fav. cat toys

I've found that while my kitties like the ball/track toys and such they have more fun with a couple boxes (empty soda boxes or amazon boxes) or paper bags. They don't care if they don't fit in them. They'll knock em around, hop in and out, play hide n seek, etc. No matter how many toys I buy these are what get the most attention and playtime.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page