Cat peeing outside box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat peeing outside box

I have a 14 year old male cat that pees outside the litter box every few days. I think he's having neurological issues, but perhaps it's something else.
Anyone else have an older cat that does this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 AM
Cool Cat

Have you had your vet check him for urinary and/or kidney problems? That can cause urination outside the litterbox, and should be ruled out as a potential cause as it can be quite serious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I plan on taking him to the Vet in a few days.
I thought I'd get some feedback from others here first before the visit. This way I can enter the Vet office armed with lots of questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Premier Cat

Our Abby would put her two front paws in the box then let go right on to the floor. She was old and very sickly. Plus our Zipper (also old) steps in, lifts her rump and it usually goes over the side, too. I put a plastic sheet down on the floor about 2' all around the box (an old shower curtain liner works great) then lots of newspaper and paper towels on top of that. The paper towels absorb better and faster than the newspaper does. It wasn't Abby's fault, she was trying, just too weak or sickly to make it all the way in.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Our Abby would put her two front paws in the box then let go right on to the floor. She was old and very sickly. Plus our Zipper (also old) steps in, lifts her rump and it usually goes over the side, too. I put a plastic sheet down on the floor about 2' all around the box (an old shower curtain liner works great) then lots of newspaper and paper towels on top of that. The paper towels absorb better and faster than the newspaper does. It wasn't Abby's fault, she was trying, just too weak or sickly to make it all the way in.
Wow, what a mess.
Is it just laziness?
Our cats haven't gotten to that point, but it sure appears to be heading that direction in the next year or so...

I think we are done with cats when these guys eventually pass. They've been awesome, but we want our lives (and our house) back.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat182 View Post
Wow, what a mess.
Is it just laziness?
Our cats haven't gotten to that point, but it sure appears to be heading that direction in the next year or so...

I think we are done with cats when these guys eventually pass. They've been awesome, but we want our lives (and our house) back.
No, it's not laziness, Abby was just so old and weak it was the best she could do while Zipper is 16+ years old. She tries, but just is a little "over reaching" with her rump. I have to get higher boxes, but little Missy is so tiny (5 pounds with tiny little legs), that I don't want to upset them with high sides right now. I'll deal with the mess. It's not every time, just often enough to be a minor pain.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

We haven't seen him do it in action, but it's clearly not a mistake of "hanging" over the box. He picks a perimeter wall and does his thing. He's hit about 4 or 5 different spots along the wall. We thought he might be seeing cats outside and he is marking his territory, so we closed ALL of the blinds so he can't see out. We've done this for about 4 days, but this morning we woke up to pee on the floor near one of the perimeter walls. I think he's just losing his marbles. He's been pooping outside the box for almost a year. The Vets never figured out why he is doing that. We've been living with it. But, cat pee is a different story.

Not sure what else to do. Looking into the pro/cons of euthanasia now.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Jr. Cat

Even though he's 14, which is getting up there, peeing outside the box is not a good reason to euthanize unless recommended by a vet (my opinion, of course). Are there new pets or new people in the house? Or some other change that could be stressing him out? This could also be the beginning stages of kidney or urinary troubles that your vet can test for. Some of these can become life threatening pretty quickly if left untreated.

Last edited by aniela26; 02-16-2013 at 01:22 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Tom Cat

One thing I have heard of people doing is moving the litter box to the last place he peed and also putting a few in the other areas where he might go. This lets him know that he needs to pee in the box, then they move it a little bit every day until it is in the spot that they want it.

You could also try getting a couple litter boxes for him, since he is getting older. Maybe he is trying his best to get to the box, but it is too far from where he is, so he picks an out of the way spot close to where he is at the time.

Sometimes old humans don't make it to the toilet, that is why they have Depends!

I would definitely take him to the vet. 14 is an old enough age where you should get him checked out at least every year, in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat182 View Post
We thought he might be seeing cats outside and he is marking his territory, so we closed ALL of the blinds so he can't see out.
Usually when an indoor cat is reacting to an outdoor cat, in my experience it's more the result of smelling (or hearing) the other cat than seeing it, so closing the blinds isn't going to do much.

If you're fairly sure it's a territorial issue, I think it would be best to try to discourage other cats from coming close to the house (easier said than done, I know) and move your cat to an interior room that isn't perimeter facing until he's going in his box consistently again.

Also be sure you're cleaning the areas he marks with an enzymatic cleaner - not just soap and water - because if any hint of urine scent remains it will encourage him to continue marking there.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page