Adopted 6 month old kitten and older cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy Adopted 6 month old kitten and older cat

Hi all im new to this so thought id start by saying hi first!

I was wondering if i could get any advice, i have a 5 year old cat called kittie he's lovely and very affectionate and loves his daddy very much (my partner). I have just adopted my sisters 6 month old kitten as my nephews were trying to kill it bear in mind there 5, 4 and 1 and a half years old so i decided to take him off there hands. Now both of my cats are male but the kitten hasn't been castrated yet! Ive tried introducing my new kitten (simba) to my other cat (kittie) but both of them get defensive there hairs stand up on there back and tail and then my cat kittie runs and hides behind the washing machine. I love them both so much and desperate for them to get on does anyone have any advice fir me as i dont no what to do. Oh im now keeping simba seperate from kittie to see if that helps but it breaks my heart having to kerp them in seperate rooms any advice??
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Kitten

If it was me, I'd just keep them separated but able to smell each other through the door for a while. There's always the "rub them down with towels and then let them smell each other that way." It may have been just too sudden of a meeting and they weren't prepared for it. But I've introduced many, many cats to each other and I've never had one where they couldn't come to a truce and they usually ended up quasi-friends at least. Just give them some time.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, keep them separated and get kitten fixed quickly! It will be better if he is already isolated so he can heal in solitude without worrying about being chased or pounced or fought. I have two baby gates that I bought from the thrift stores to keep new kitties in isloation. I prefer that to closed doors. Stack them one on top of the other to make it too tall to jump over. That way they can see and smell each other without touching. Or you could use a bungee cord to pull the door tightly shut then push it back open a couple inches with a wedge or brick or something. Just open it a couple inches!! The taut bungee cord will keep the door from being pushed in by resident cat or pulled open by isolated cat. They need some time to get used to the idea of each other before they are thrown in together. Maybe even a week or more.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Cat Addict

Google "New cat introductions"

Just putting unfamiliar cats together and letting them work it out will sometimes work but it can also turn into a huge disaster. Keeping them separate and then slowly introducing them gives you a much better chance of having two cats that will actually get along with each other. If you do that search, you'll find that there are many articles out there that will help walk you through the steps of introducing a new cat. Take it slowly, as moving too fast can lead to a bad encounter that will set you back to square one. You're likely to have better luck after the kitten has been neutered and the hormones have had a chance to leave his system. That can take weeks, so best to get him neutered ASAP. Good luck and congrats on your new kitty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page