New Cat-owner Questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question New Cat-owner Questions

My cat is very small for being about 5 months. I've had her for about 3. She eats a lot. I have a few questions with behavior/ect. I numbered them 1 to 10

1) she's much smaller than her brother, who looks the exact opposite (she's a striped DLH, he's a white DSH) is that normal, will she get bigger.
2) she's really skittish, and doesn't like to be held or pet. Only rarely she will come over to me purring. And ill pet her for not all of 3 mins. Before she runs away again. Can I make her a little more social? I've got a lot of love and attention for her, but she just doesn't want it :c

3) I have a small dog, that's about her size. They play fight a lot, and my dog seems to almost always start it. Should I be reprimanding them? Should I just let them go?

4) I have a rabbit, and my cat likes to lay on top if her cage. Should I be concerned that she will try to hurt it?

5) she's got pretty long hair, does she need to be trim? How to CSS get hair balls, and how do I avoid them /reduce them?

6) when I cut her nails, she seems to be in pain and squirms. I have to cut her nails or we are goingt get her declawed. I'm not cutting on the quip. And I'm using a pet nail clipper.

7) I've tried several typed of dry kitten food, and she doesn't like to eat it unless its mixed with wet. Is there a way to get her to eat more dry?

she likes to play with a wand toy, and LOVES catnip. Are there any kind of other pet toys you'd recommend?

9) am I being detrimental to my cat and the dogs relationship with I let the dog come over and try to get the wand too? (My dog likes catnip too and sometimes my cat gets a little defensive)

10) is there anything else you'd tell a new cat owner that's important?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Tom Cat

Wow, lots of questions! Welcome. I'd start with reading through lots of old threads - there is tons of great advice on this forum that has already been posted.

I'll just comment on a couple things - wet food is much healthier than dry, so I wouldn't encourage feeding more dry. Read through threads on the nutrition forum to find out more.

If she is really small, what are you feeding? Have you had her checked out by a vet and are you sure it isn't parasites? Some cats are just genetically smaller so there is no way for anyone online to know how large she will grow or if she will catch up with her brother. A pet rabbit will seem like food - she will try to hurt it if she can. I don't think it would be good for the rabbit to have a predator sitting on top of the cage... it would be interesting for the cat but make sure she can't reach in and claw him or anything. Is the dog hurting her? Does she try to get away or does she seem to enjoy it?

If you're thinking of declawing, do some reading up on it. It is illegal in a lot of countries and considered mutilation. Are you sure it is something you want to even consider?? Nail trimming shouldn't be stressful. There are two very recent threads on nail trimming on this forum, so if you have a look at those you'll find some good ideas!

You have lots of good questions - if you spend sometime researching and reading through older threads I'm sure you'll learn lots from the very experienced cat people on here! Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexajune View Post
My cat is very small for being about 5 months. I've had her for about 3. She eats a lot. I have a few questions with behavior/ect. I numbered them 1 to 10

1) she's much smaller than her brother, who looks the exact opposite (she's a striped DLH, he's a white DSH) is that normal, will she get bigger.she may have had a different father than her brother did. She may be the runt of the litter
2) she's really skittish, and doesn't like to be held or pet. Only rarely she will come over to me purring. And ill pet her for not all of 3 mins. Before she runs away again. Can I make her a little more social? I've got a lot of love and attention for her, but she just doesn't want it :cyou need to play with her and handle her a lot to help socialize her at this age. Playing really will help her bond with you

3) I have a small dog, that's about her size. They play fight a lot, and my dog seems to almost always start it. Should I be reprimanding them? Should I just let them?if your dog isnt intimadating her and she is able to escape from him and he isnt hurting her this is normal. They are forming a friendship bond

4) I have a rabbit, and my cat likes to lay on top if her cage. Should I be concerned that she will try to hurt it? i dont know. Any rabbit people out there? Ive only had an experience with an adult blind cat being friends with a rabbit

5) she's got pretty long hair, does she need to be trim? How to CSS get hair balls, and how do I avoid them /reduce them?groom her. If she does get hairballs there are product available to help them pass!

6) when I cut her nails, she seems to be in pain and squirms. I have to cut her nails or we are goingt get her declawed. I'm not cutting on the quip. And I'm using a pet nail clipper. absolutely never declaw a cat or kitten. Its an amputation and your could be signing up for bigger problems of biting, litter box problems, lameness etc.

7) I've tried several typed of dry kitten food, and she doesn't like to eat it unless its mixed with wet. Is there a way to get her to eat more dry?your kitten needs free feeding as she is growing fast. Wet or raw is the best. Leave her a bowl of kitten dry for her to graze on while main meals are soft or raw

she likes to play with a wand toy, and LOVES catnip. Are there any kind of other pet toys you'd recommend? mine love to chase the red dot of a lazer pen

9) am I being detrimental to my cat and the dogs relationship with I let the dog come over and try to get the wand too? (My dog likes catnip too and sometimes my cat gets a little defensive)for now id use play time as bonding time for you and your kitten. Later, the dog and cat can compete

10) is there anything else you'd tell a new cat owner that's important?
finding a good, savvy cat vet is very important. Get you cat microchipped. Lots of hands on attention at this age is very important. Make your cat an indoor only cat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Cat

I have trouble trimming my cats nails too, but would NEVER consider declawing them. My vet's office offers walk-in nail trims twice a week for 10$, and I take my kitties once a month. It's affordable, less stressful for me, and I don't have to have joints removed from kitties paws.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Premier Cat

FYI must warn you declawing is a very controversial topic in the cat community. Its outlawed in several cities in the US. Many vets refuse to declaw because its amputating. Those vets also refuse to dock dog tails and ears!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'd never want to declaw her, but my mother doesn't want her ripping up furniture. So far she hasn't ruined anything, so. Thanks for the advice c:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Cali has always been smaller than her sister, so I think the size difference is normal.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Kitten

Obviously it is different for every animal, but my cats used to get along fine with my rabbit. Also, rabbits can defend themselves pretty well, especially if it is larger than your cat - have you ever been on the receiving end of a bunny kick?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Premier Cat

Provide your kitty with a cat tree and sissle scratching posts. If that fail use the plastic soft claws on her nails. Then she cant scratch furniture.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Jr. Cat

1. One of our boys is smaller than the other. He was sick though so we imagine that he might never actually catch up but he is growing at his own pace. So while it's nice to compare her to her brother, do keep in mind she'll grow at her own pace.

2. The older boy is the same way; we can't get him to snuggle (even if he's purring) and he won't stay around for long. We let him do his own thing but we try to give him a quick hug or snuggle throughout the day and at night so that he knows that he's welcome to do it if he wanted to.

6. Mine act like that are in pain with the nails being cut ALL THE TIME. I've cat sitted for two other cats and lived with two others prior and every cat seems to hate nail clipping and act like it's the end of the world. But. Once it's over and you give them treats, they are all better. I don't think declawing is the answer here; either keep trimming them yourselves (just remember to give treats afterward) or you can get them done by a professional.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page