Reducing Stress suggestions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Reducing Stress suggestions

This will be ET's 1st Chinese New Year celebration with us. We didn't celebrate CNY last year cos mother-in-law passed away. Lately, we have been making alot of changes in the home in preparation for CNY - spring cleaning, changing the curtain, sofa cushion, adding new stuff, getting busy, staying away from home for many hours most days. Throughout all these, I was well aware about kitties stress matter. I have been observing ET, he seemed ok, except for a wee bit more meowing and asking for playtime, which I did oblige even if I was in the midst of something.

The problem is, ET is extremely timid and extremely afraid of strangers. As always, our CNY means visitation from friends and relatives over a period of 2days. What can I do to reduce ET's stress during this period? Confine him in his room where he feel safer for the 2 days and use Feliway? I have only feliway spray, or is it better to use a feliway diffuser? hope I have enough time to go buy one before the pet store closes for the holiday.

In another 2 weeks' time, ET will go boarding for 5 days, that's another stress. I didn't realise until now, I am putting him through alot of stress, starting from our preparation for the CNY. Pet sitting is something my hubby is so strongly against, so I am left with no choice but boarding.

I have been communicating to ET though for 2 weeks, telling him we will leave him in boarding house for a couple of days, and asking him to respond if he will be brave enough to stay there. Surprisingly, he always responded by licking my feet and placing his paw on my feet, as if assuring me he will be ok. I also told him, he needs to make it easy for me to get him into his carrier. Then I place treat into his carrier, he went in, I gave a litte push, he went right in, turned around and stayed in his carrier. What do you all make of this?

Any other suggestions to reduce stress level? I feel bad enough making him go through all these or maybe everything is alright actually, I worry for nothing?

Last edited by snowy; 02-04-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Tom Cat

Reducing Stress suggestions

People are going to think I have shares in the company as I just recommended them in another thread but I found the Feliway collar to be helpful. We went through a stressful long distance move using the collar and had minimal problems with Yuki.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Tom Cat

(Love that you communicate with your cat. Can you get a sense from him what would make it less stressful for him.)
I recommend the Feliway diffuser. Can you get Bach's Rescue Remedy, you can add that to his food. Also, will the place you board ET be willing to: feed him the food he is use to; to put his blankets, your smelly clothes, etc. in the cage where he will be staying; to spray the cage with the Feliway calming spray? The Feliway collar is good, too; he can wear that while you are not with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks YukiMum/Ritzpg. Thanks for your input. I just checked local online store, Feliway collar is not available in Sg. Any idea if it works the same if I were to spray Feliway onto his collar. Will it be safe? I will probably find time to go get the diffuser.

Hi Ritzpg. I haven't tried asking him what would make it less stressful for him, I doubt if I will be able to do it, but no harm trying. My communication all these while was all about his willingness to go boarding and what I received from ET was pretty reassuring, that he will be a brave boy during boarding.

I will be bringing his food, my unwashed clothes, his favourite cushion. Even if boarding hse provide food, I will not let him eat it, cos he doesn't take to change of food very well. Too bad pet store here don't carry feliway collar, I think that is a very good idea. If I were to spray the collar myself, it probably won't last that long.

About Bach's Rescue Remedy, this is what I found https://www.polypet.com.sg/index.php...roduct_id=2801 but the pict showed only small animals, birds, turtle and what that? a guinea pig? Didn't show pict of dog or cat, so not sure if it is safe for cats.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Tom Cat

Snowy, the ingredients look okay, but maybe you could run it by your vet.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks Ritzpg. I don't have the time to go get this or the feliway diffuser now, both are not available at the pet store near home. Anyway, I tried spraying feliway on the collar. ET hates it. I haven't been letting him wear a collar for so long, I tried putting on the collar, but he really really hate it, in the end I removed it, he's had enough stress of late already. Just have to make do with spraying feliway in the room and inside his carrier.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Hahaaa, ET survived the ordeal, lol, with just Feliway spray. He brushed me like crazy last night after our visitors left, and played like crazy this morning like a child deprived of attention for a long time. I haven't groomed and played with him for the past 3days. He was also on 1 wet (TOTW) and 2 dry that gives him very very soft poop that I decided to go back to 90% wet yesterday and poop back to normal this morning.

Just hope he survive boarding next. Might have to reconsider 100% wet during boarding instead of 50/50 since TOTW kibbles giving him soft poop (I'm running out of Acana and most petshops are still closed for the holiday). My concern is the 3oz canned food are mostly fish based, unless I try new food like Wellness 3oz, but then again I guess less than 1week of fish wouldn't cause too much harm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page