Cat bites - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cat bites

While feeding her a piece of dehydrated liver, Clem chomped on me instead. Her top teeth punctured through at the edge of the nail on my thumb and finger because of how I was holding the food, and a bottom tooth punctured through the meaty part of my thumb. All three bled and hurt like ****. I washed it well and splashed some peroxide on it, but I'm super worried about infection. The one on the bottom of the thumb is the worst and is still oozing a little bit 15 minutes later.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Cat Addict

Cat bites become infected easily and can get pretty serious. If I were you, I'd make an appointment with the doc or go to urgent care for some antibiotics. Better to nip it in the bud rather than take your chances of it turning into something more serious.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Cat Addict

Cat bites can be serious, but it's good that they bled a lot. That helps. Expect it to hurt a bit or be swollen for the next few days, but if you notice it's really sore or really swelling up, see a doctor ASAP.

Blood poisoning can act fast, my father had it once, within 48 hours he needed antibiotics, and the doctor said if they hadn't started working on him within 12 hours he would need to go to the hospital.

He's been seriously bitten before and since then without any complications, and I've been seriously bitten as well without complications. So I know it can hurt a lot, but it also doesn't mean you need to rush to the hospital immediately. Just keep an eye on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cat bites

Think it could wait until tomorrow afternoon? My mom is a nurse and could bring me some antibiotics after work.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Cat Addict

Cat bites can be serious, but it's good that they bled a lot. That helps. Keep an eye on it, expect it to hurt a bit or be swolen for the next few days, but if you notice it's really sore or really swelling up, see a doctor ASAP.

Blood poisoning can act fast, my father had it once, within 48 hours he needed antibiotics, and the doctor said if they hadn't started working on him within 12 hours he would need to go to the hospital.

He's been seriously bitten before and since then without any complications or need for a doctor visit, and I've been seriously bitten as well without worrying overly about it. I know it can hurt a lot, when I was bit my whole thumb hurt to move for a week due to the muscle being injured, but it also doesn't mean you need to rush to the hospital immediately. Just keep an eye on it.

Along with the dogs
and
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Cat Addict

Should be fine till tomorrow afternoon. I should clarify that when I say urgent care, I don't mean emergency room. Around here, "urgent care" is the walk-in clinic where you can go if you can't get a same day appointment with your own clinic.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Senior Cat

Cat bites

Raising foster babies and other adult cat fosters has given me more than my share of serious bites. I always squeeze them really hard so they'll bleed a lot then soap it up while I'm holding the puncture open. It hurts like a mother but I've never had any problems. I just put antibacterial ointment (re neosporin) snd a bandaid on it. As someone mentioned it'll be sore for a couple of days and if you start seeing red streaks coming from the wounds then get in to a dr ASAP. While kitty bites can be serious they rarely are worrisome unless it's an alley cat or such.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Banned

Please, keep a watchful eye on the bite!
I got an innocent bite from Artie while feeding him after his dental.
He was still 'high" from the pain killer (tooth pulled). He was rubbing and going in and out of my ankles and suddenly just bit my ankle.

I ignored it and 2 weeks later I had a really bad, strong infection, under the surface of the skin, which could and would spread very fast if untreated and I would have gotten extremely sick-throughout my body.

Had to go to the Emergency room be because 5 inches around it was red, swollen and itchy.
They had to give me and IV, take a culture, started me on one antibiotic. When the culture came back they called and changed it to another one which was better suited to the infection.

They told me how bad cat bites are, and they even had to report it to the state.

I would be very concerned about your thumb. It is a sensitive, tough area to heal~ and it will be sore for a long time...

I would go to the doctor to check it out..Urgently, not waiting for the next available appointment....

take care..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiesmom View Post

They told me how bad cat bites are, and they even had to report it to the state.

I'm pretty sure they report to the state when its rabies, or perhaps suspected rabies. I highly doubt they report every single cat bite to the state. Mouths are filthy places and have a tons and tons of germs, so getting bitten (even by a human) can be potentially dangerous. Komodo dragons kill their prey by biting them and waiting for the ensuing infection from their filthy mouths to kill them. Anyway, a bite would hurt for a bit. I would wait it out and see. Except some pain and redness and swelling, but if it doesn't look "right" to you, seek medical attention.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM
Premier Cat

I was seriously bitten by a cat years ago and landed in the hospital for a week! Trust me, you will KNOW when there is an infection setting in. The bite location will get angry red and hot to the touch. It will ache and you will think it a blessing if someone volunteers to cut your finger off! DON'T let them do that! Kidding, but really, you will know.

In my state, medical clinics are required to report bites so they can check the med records of the animals. I would wait it out but not long and take something OTC for pain. Keep your hand elevated if it throbs and watch it for spreading redness. If the pain gets dramatically worse or the swelling gets dramatic, get it checked out.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page