Getting a second kitten... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Getting a second kitten...

I have been a slave for Teddy for 2 months now, and we are now seriously thinking about getting a playmate for our fur-ball of craziness. Teddy is 4 months old now.
Is it too early to get a second kitten?
Should I consider the same breed or different breed?
Are 4 months old kittens likely to accept new kittens?
Should I get a younger or older kitten than Teddy?

And... Can a new kitten use the same stuff as this one? (litterbox, water fountain, feeding space)

I am looking for personal stories, opinions, as well as general wisdom on the topic

Last edited by purr machine; 02-04-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Cat Addict

At four months he is quite young, and a good age to get another cat. I would get another kitten roughly the same age and temperament as Teddy. Breed isn't as important as personality, not all cat breeds are going to have the same temperament. I'd just go to the SPCA and see what kittens they have that are friendly and a similar match to Teddy's activity level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Cat

I agree. Same age or younger would allow them to play together when they both have a ton of energy. Also, find a friendly little cat , temperament is absolutely key! Find a cat at a shelter who seems to want to play with everyone and is easy going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Premier Cat

oooo! Teddy is that gorgeous Ragdoll you just posted pics of, isn't he? Are you going to get another stunningly handsome kitten???

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Tom Cat

Completely agree with everyone else. Moosey was a little over a year old when we got her, Ziggy was about 4.5 months. They did not get along well at all at first. (We got them at the same time so we didn't think to do slow introductions as they had the same scent.

They get along better now, but I think if Moosey would have been young as well, it would have gone easier.

Also, definitely look at a shelter rather than a breeder.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Marcia, yes, I think so. Now I am not sure how I will go about it yet. I am considering both adoption and getting a pure bred cat... Can't decide yet... But I think my little fluffster would love to have a friend.

MyBabiesDaddy, that would be nice!! But none of the shelters nearby have a kitten younger than 8-9 months at the moment.

Carmel, thank you! Our SPCA has mostly adult cats, and Teddy seems intimidated by them. Unless they don't list all their kittens online of course...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Cat Addict

I'm not sure if it works the same where you are Purr_machine, but our shelter here doesn't list most of their cats. Especially kittens don't make it on the page because they get adopted so fast!

It's worth a trip there to check it out in person, I'd bet that they do have kittens, they just don't list them because by the time the listing is up the kitten already has it's new home.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by purr machine View Post
Carmel, thank you! Our SPCA has mostly adult cats, and Teddy seems intimidated by them. Unless they don't list all their kittens online of course...
We live in the same province. If you live anywhere around Vancouver (or other major cities spread about in BC) then most kittens do not make it anywhere near the website. A friend adopted a kitten a few years ago and they hadn't even made it on the adoption floor room and some were already spoken for, it takes a while after they've been up for adoption for the shelters to put them on the website, it's a waste of time otherwise having to constantly list cats that are going to be adopted in a matter of days.

The way to find the kittens is to go to the shelters, it's really the only way to find them. Same with puppies. All the really cool looking cats and kittens with the great personalities that are young without any serious drawbacks never get on the websites, there's too high a demand for them.

Last year I took a peak at the Richmond shelter; I saw a champagne Burmese and a cat that looked similar to a rosette Bengal. They never were featured on the website... no point, when cats like that get adopted so fast.

Here was the Burmese (I don't normally call a shelter cat a purebred, but there are a few Burmese breeders in BC and the champagne coloring is super rare outside of that breed):

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page