Strange behavior around newborn - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Strange behavior around newborn

We have a 5 year old mackerel tabby (female) and we have a newborn daughter. Our tabby has added some strange behavior around the baby when she is crying.
We have a Graco swing that has a bassinet and we put the baby in there. When she started crying, the cat comes running over to see what is going on and then stands up and puts two paws on the side of the bassinet to look in. Her eyes were very wide. I picked up the baby to console her and brought her to the couch. The cat followed me right over and jumped up next to me and hissed. I couldn't tell if she was hissing at me (protective) or the newborn (in predator mode). She exhibited this behavior one other time around when my son was a newborn. It only happened once but I didn't think much of it at the time. I'm OK if she is being maternal and wanting to protect the baby, but not sure what to think.

I appreciate the insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Cat Addict

She isn't being maternal, OR 'hunting' the baby.

The loud noise is startling her and making her anxious. One of our four HATES loud noises and will growl and hiss at alarm clocks, phones that ring in the middle of the night, thunder (particularly funny), ambulances, loud music, ect. For her she's simply expressing how much loud noise makes her uncomfortable.

I'd be willing to bet your kitty is doing the same. To help her get over it a bit use a soothing voice and tell the kitty it'll be ok, as you comfort your child. I'd even give kitty a few treats when she's clearly concerned or upset about the loudness. This way she'll start thinking about the screaming as less negative. I don't think you'll ever get her to like it, since cats have much more sensitive hearing than we do, but getting her to accept it is a good goal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page