Cat playing fetch - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Cat playing fetch

I've discovered Jasper's love for fetching his toy mice. I've sat there for an hour at a time, several days in a row now, continually throwing the mouse all over the place. Even on top of the fridge. He charges, pounces, and brings it back meowing with it in his mouth. Sometimes it gets caught on his paw and he's walking with his paw up to his mouth as he brings it back... there's no stopping him from bring it back ASAP.

I know some cats fetch, but this seems extreme. If I throw it and he's not sure where it went he goes in total stalk mode. Looking, listening, crouching around silently, often eventually finding it and swatting it out from between bizarre places.

A few times when he doesn't knows where it's gone he eventually gave up and charged after a different toy to bring back instead. Usually he doesn't give up until he finds the right one, though.

If I don't throw it again sometimes he starts batting it around on his own, gets it far enough away, then picks it up and brings it back to drop at my feet again.

^ "Throw it now please!"

Maybe he just really misses playing (he was, and still is to people he doesn't know, semi-feral)? Or maybe I'm just not used to cats that like to play this much?

Does anyone else here have a cat that loves bring things back to you this much?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 02-06-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 AM
Tom Cat

Awh! Such a beautiful boy! He sounds adorable! A fetching cat sounds very entertaining.

I really do have a soft spot for semi-feral cats.

I cannot get over his eyes!

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Senior Cat

He's gorgeous! Having a cat that can fetch would be so much fun! I wish Jake would do that!

He does like to play, a lot. Like, every day when I come home he runs to the door with his feathers and string in his mouth and drops them at my feet to play, but he won't fetch :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Cat

Tucker does the same thing. He's OBSESSED with his mouse. He plays with it constantly, until all the fur comes off and I have to replace it. lol. He even puts his mouse in his food dish while he's eating. It goes to bed with us...and any time he hears it rattle he's in attack mode. He doesn't always want to play fetch, sometimes he's content just to bat it around on the floor.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Cat Addict

At least two mornings a week when I get dressed, there is a toy mouse carefully left for me to find inside a shoe.

However when they actually caught a real mouse, that was apparently more display-worthy. It was left on my computer keyboard.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Senior Cat

My Bridge Angel Red Boy would play fetch for an hour or so with me, all his life. He kept his Fur Mice in a pile in a certain spot. He would paw over them, and select which one he wanted to play with, then bring it to me and drop it at my feet. I have an open stairway leading down to the utility room. I would throw the mouse against the wall above the stairs so it would drop down the stairs and he would go racing after it, and bring it back. Over and over and over. I never was able to get any video of it because if I picked up the camera he would refuse to play any more. I was allowed to read or be on the computer or even be working in the kitchen while he played this game with me, he did not require my whole attention, but he did not like to wait, when he brought the Fur Mouse back.

I had one other cat who would play fetch, also a Red Boy and he played it most of his life, too. He had a rubbery octopus toy that came in a cereal box. How he loved that thing.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Cat Addict

Ohhhh! so sweet. Wished ET is half as enthusiastic about playing, about the only thing that can keep him on his feet is Da-Bird for now. He is not just super timid, but also super LAZY!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Senior Cat

Yeah, I never taught the two who've done it. They started it themselves. My Little Cat played fetch for a short time when she was a baby but then I guess she decided it was more fun to make me retrieve the toys.

Most of my cats play(ed) their own version of solitary fetch though. My boy I was talking about before, his Solitaire Game was Throw The Mouse Down the Stairs, Bring It Back Up And Throw It Down Again. He loved playing fetch with me, but he played by himself every night after I went to bed.

Little Cat plays with her Caps. She picks one out, brings it to the kitchen and drops it in the middle of the floor, then chases it all over the kitchen until it ends up on the carpet. Then she picks it up, drops it in the middle of the floor and starts again. Lovey cat used to play that Game with her Scribble Scrabbles, but she doesn't so much any more, she has other Solitaire Games to play.

Fun thread.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Jr. Cat

Jasper is gorgeous! And looks very engaged and happy. ^_^

My kitty Biscuit LOVES plastic water bottle caps. She particularly loves the short ones that look frosted. They're easy to chew and paw at. She'll bring it to me when she's bored and wants me to throw it for her. She's not the cat that you can mindlessly dangle a toy in front of, she'll lose interest. You have to give her a challenge. Sigh. Good and bad with that. lol
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks, I'll pass along the compliments, everyone. Fetching is super entertaining, he's so enthusiastic about it all...

Kitty-The-Cat, your sister and brother in law have a really cute cat! Her moment to shine she got a little bit of stage fright, haha. I'm pretty sure kitties can't learn fetching, well, anything is possible, but not likely. They either want to or they don't...

tigre86, I'm glad to hear Jasper isn't the only one obsessed, I mean, I do know cats fetch... but with him he can't bring it back fast enough!

NebraskaCat... a toy in your shoe? That's so cute! I've never heard of a cat doing that. But eww, a real mouse on the keyboard?! I don't know if I'd be able to use it again. Blacky brings in the odd mouse, but they're alive and we get the honor of catching them as they run along the wall (all mice run along walls; place a box for them to run into).

lovetimesfour: Your cats sounded adorable. Jasper does the collecting thing too, I'll walk in and often his favourite toys have moved to different locations all grouped together. If we manage in integrate Jasper to the house I have plans of throwing mice down the stairs. I also took the lazy route with the dog; I throw toys out a second floor window and she has to run all the way down stairs, into the backyard, and back up to my room with the toy. Meanwhile, I'm just sitting at the computer...

I did a mini photo shoot today while playing with him. His eyes really come down to lighting and the fact that he's looking up. It's all in the camera tricks. Some cats are also just more photogenic, I've taken better pictures of Jasper in 3 months than of Blaze in 17 years.

Waiting for it to be thrown:

The mighty hunter, catching it in midair:

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page