Cat not pooping in the litter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cat not pooping in the litter

Hey all,
Pipin's a perfectly healthy 3 year old male. He picked up strange litter habbits at the shelter I think, or because he was abandoned maybe he's just not used to using the litter and going wherever he pleases. But.. he poops in the bathroom in front of the litter.. the other day he went on the side of the box. Previously he didn't cover his poops or pees.. sort of lazily left them there in the sand. I'm a bit concerned, it's been a couple months and he's just now missing his litter or not waiting until he gets to the litter and simply going on the floor in front of it.

How do I figure this guy out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Cat Addict

Probably not the same problem, but thought I'd mention this. Penny poops right beside the litter box if it hasn't been cleaned to her liking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, my Zipper will sometimes do that too. I've started putting newspaper all around the boxes to catch the dribbles from when she lifts her rump too high, or the poop going over the side. She tries, just misses the litter now and then. Zipper never flushes (covers) either. Just one of those quirks.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Senior Cat

you might want to potty train him again. maybe he really never was potty trained. I am no expert in this matter, but i am sure somebody here will give you advice how to do it properly.
i think you basically confine cat to a small space i.e. bathroom with food, water and litterbox.

and of course make sure there no underlying health issues that could cause pooping outside of the box.

Anna + Josie and Blackberry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Senior Cat

Have you taken him to the vet to see if all is well on that front? That'd be the first thing I'd suggest doing.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Kitten

One of my cats pooped outside the box for about a month. Then she got back into pooping in the box. In our case we think it was something to do with a power struggle. Our 8lb alpha junior use to beat her up even though she weighs 18lbs. She use to cry and be submissive. Then she realized she is twice as big and started fighting back. We think she pooped outside the box because of a top cat struggle. Now that the little cat doesn't beat her up anymore she's pooping in the box. Also no the little one covers her poop, she use to leave it uncovered and the big timid cat leaves her longs for eVeryone to smell. We are happy for the big cat. She's so gentle and sweet. She might be the new alpha junior cat. The mother is boss over everyone. Do you have more than one cat? Does my post make sense to any of you guys?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well when He did it last night I punished him by yellng Bad! No! a couple of times..then I rejected him sitting in my lap by pushing him off. (dont worry I still gave him treats) before I went to bed. Today I came home and I saw that he went in themlitter, and just now he not only went in the litter bit he covered it! I was like yay! good kitty ans snuggled him.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Kitten

My cat rarely poops in her box. I adopted her @ 3 from the shelter. It's annoying but she does only poop on hard flooring (linoleum in the laundry room). I hate it but am thankful she chooses to keep it to the basement & doesn't pee outside her box!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page