(Excessive?) Vocalization - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat

(Excessive?) Vocalization

Luna, my 4 month old Himalayan/Ragdoll cross is very, very vocal! As I type this, she is upstairs crying non-stop at a housefly on the window. The last few nights she has been waking me up in the middle of the night crying (She sleeps with me). She seriously cries like she is a human baby! She has been crying more often over the past couple of days. Is it possible she is in pain from new teeth coming in or something? Or is she just becoming more outgoing? She has always been vocal & has been known to carry on conversations with me. I wonder if it could go all the way back to her Siamese ancestry (since she is half-Himalayan).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Tom Cat

There are just some cats that are vocal. Moosey is vocal. She will meow for no reason. Just walk around and meow. If I talk to her she usually stops, but other times she just keeps doing it.

My sister's cat meows and cries ALL THE TIME. She is very very vocal.

I read somewhere that the more you talk to a cat, the more vocal they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Senior Cat

Some cats are very vocal for no reason. My youngest cat never meows, only chirps when she's playful. My ragdoll meows loudly only when She wants food/attention or if she wants in a room that the door is closed. My other cat, Anna, is most vocal when she wants you to play with her. She will literally scream in the basement and if no one comes down, she will run up with a toy in her mouth and drop it at your feet. They are all so silly.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Tom Cat

Plus, cats usually only "meow" when they want to communicate with humans. Hissing, chirps and growling plus tail signals are how they communicate with other cats and animals (although I have read that dogs can't tell cat tail signals because some are opposite of dogs).

Maybe she was saying to you "Hey, Human, there is a little creature up here. Get it for me!"

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Cat Addict

Cheddar is also a very vocal cat. He'll talk to me, meow when he's playing, meow at the wall, talk to Sadie, and sometimes just walk around making noises... I love his meow too, so I tend to encourage him! It's a deeper meow, not the squeaky or higher pitch meows of many cats, and he has such a range of noises too. Very entertaining (unless it's the middle of the night... but thankfully he doesn't do that very often!)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Cool Cat

Zephyr is extremely vocal. Just his personality. Maisie is almost silent so they balance out into one normal cat.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Senior Cat

Is she spayed? If not, the increased vocalization may be her first heat. Better get her done, quick!

Some cats do just have a lot to say.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetimesfour View Post
Is she spayed? If not, the increased vocalization may be her first heat. Better get her done, quick!

Some cats do just have a lot to say.
I have noticed Zigs has gotten a little more vocal lately. She is going to be spayed tomorrow, so this may help.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Kitten

Simba has a number of different vocalizations - some of which only occur at 3 am. When I first adopted her it freaked me out; I thought she was possessed a la "The Exorcist". Now I know the voice is just her way of amusing herself in the middle of the night. But I still wonder what she's saying.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
Instead of researching the mating season of a fruit fly Colleges need to research cat speak. I want to know what mine are crying 24-7!!!! Watch they are just saying something to the affect of " This annoys mom so lalalallala"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page