male offspring bullying his mother - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

male offspring bullying his mother

I am worrying about a male offspring bullying his mother. He chases her and tries to jump on her. I don't think she likes it. She has places to hide or can run outside except at night when they are in the house together. They seem ok in the morning. She used to hiss at him and sometimes still does but she definitely flees behind my bed or outside. He would jump her and wrestle her if he could. I have stopped him and made it clear it is not acceptable. Sometimes they will lay separated but on the same bed. When do I worry that she is being bullied too much. Ungrateful kid! She protected and took care of him when they lived outside and he was a momma's boy then. Maybe that is why he is the only kitten survivor.

Last edited by marie73; 02-06-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Premier Cat

You don't say how old he is. If he is tiny, he is just developing his pecking order in the world. If he is a couple years old then it's probably a matter of truly bullying. I'm not much help I know, but we really need to know his age.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
You don't say how old he is. If he is tiny, he is just developing his pecking order in the world. If he is a couple years old then it's probably a matter of truly bullying. I'm not much help I know, but we really need to know his age.
You're probably right here... Going through a similar situation where my 11 month old does the same thing to the 6 year old cat.

I know 2-3 months ago that my vet and I were talking about it and it may be awhile for the kitten to get all his "kitten" out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Approximate age is 1 year now based original vet's guess when I first had him fixed. He is bigger than mom and weighs a pound or so more. Mom 2-3 years old.

Last edited by cat owner again; 02-06-2013 at 06:10 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Premier Cat

When do you worry she's being bullied too much? You should worry if she's hiding away most of the time, seems afraid of him, doesn't want to come out to eat or eats very little and then hides away, is losing weight, seems depressed and not enjoying life, doesn't play any more if she was very playful before. If she's doing any of these things consistently and it's increasing from what it used to be, I would be concerned. You'll either have to keep her separated from him when you're not there to supervise, and you may have to play the "heavy" and intervene if he's harassing her too much. Or you may have to re-home him. Males around 1 yr. do start to develop their "territory" and throw their weight around to be dominant, even over siblings or his momacat. If she stands up to him, which is difficult if he's much heavier and larger, he may mellow out as time goes along, but if he continues to bully it can make her life a misery and the added stress can result in health problems eventually.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Cool Cat

As catloverami said, that's a somewhat normal behavior, given his age. It should resolve on it's own once he figures out his place in the world. If it isn't better in a few weeks, or if it continues to escalate then you may need to intervene or take other steps.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

How sad. Thank you. I wouldn't want it to get even close to that. I do intervene now if she hasn't been able to get away or he is just being a pest. She used to fight back more but he is too strong and persistent. Luckily he goes out most of the day and she stays with me. Last night I put boxes out and covered it with a big sheet and hid treats all around with toys abundant so that he could keep busy. He just has a lot of energy. Ijust ordered a couple of interactive toys. I hope it resolves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page