Bringing a cat home from the vet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Bringing a cat home from the vet

Zigglebean was spayed yesterday and my boyfriend just went and picked her up for my roommate. I am at work, so I am a mess texting my boyfriend about how she is doing. I am concerned about our next steps with her. Here is what has been done so far:

1) We packed up about 4 oz of food for her to have at the vet when she felt up to eating.
2) I had my boyfriend get one of my shirts and rub it on Moosey to put in the carrier for Ziggy to smell like us and the Moose.
3) My boyfriend brought her home (she cried the whole way home and once she got home, she wanted to play) and immediately put her in our room, since it is the only room with a door (our roommate lives in the loft, which is all open air) so Moosey can't bother her.
4) My boyfriend let Moosey in the room because she was being a crybaby and they sniffed at each other, but then a little while later Ziggy started growling at Moosey. So he put the Moose back out.

I am not sure what prompted the growling as my boyfriend hasn't texted me back, but I am assuming Moosey might have wanted to play or be a little rough, or maybe Ziggy just didn't want to be messed with.

What can we do to make this easier?

Have I done anything wrong?

Can I do anything else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Cool Cat

Ziggy smells different from the procedure and he also carries the smell of vet clinic (which is unpleasant to most cats). Although you did step 2, cats have very sensitive smell, they can still tell something is off. So Moosey is confused. When my girls got spayed (during different time), they also react differently once I brought back one of the cat home.

I don't think you need to worry a lot. The strange smell will wear off, and Moosey will soon recognize it's same-o-Ziggy again . However, do keep an eye on them, prevent rough play/chase, and don't let Moosey lick Ziggy's wound.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 04:08 PM
Senior Cat

i think ziggy feels that she in not quite right (after surgery, being at the clinic) and that's why she is not very friendly to Moosey. She probably feels weaker so maybe does not want Moosey to mess with her. she is just protecting herself. and since she smells like clinic, vets, etc Moosey is probably more curious and wants to know what's going on. I think you should just give them time and tender loving care and everything will be back to normal very soon.

Anna + Josie and Blackberry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

It is so frustrating not being home to watch them.

My boyfriend said that Ziggy went under the bed, and as stated by both of you, Moosey was curious and stuck her head under the bed and Ziggy just didn't feel like being looked at. Haha.

I get off work in 4 hours and cannot wait to see little Zigs. I missed her last night, and I know the Moose did, too.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Premier Cat

My girls always hiss or growl at each other whenever one returns from the vet. It doesn't matter whether I rub blankets/etc. on them, and I've also tried the vanilla trick, to no avail. It passes after a few days and then they're fine again. So, I wouldn't worry about it. Hope things are back to normal soon!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Premier Cat

Don't worry too much. Keet them separated and in a few days they will all be fine. I hope the Bean feels better soon!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Weird question...

I get home and Zigglebean is very skinny... is this due to her having her parts removed? I know she didn't eat for about a day, but it doesn't seem right...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page