He escaped!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

He escaped!!

I could kick myself. I did not pull the door shut properly and our kitty has escaped. He is around 11 years old and has spent about a month of his life total outdoors (friends were looking after him and decided it would be a good idea to let him go outside). We moved here about 3 months ago.

We live on a very busy main road! He is nowhere to be seen in our large backyard and I have no idea where he has gone. This happened about 30mins ago. We are leaving the door ajar (our other cat shut in the bedroom) in the hopes he will come home. What are my chances??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

OMG - literally as I pressed post he came home. Well, I feel like little bit of an overreacting idiot now, but a RELIEVED overreacting idiot.

I'm glad he decided to come home.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Premier Cat

Lesson learned, huh?! A similiar thing happened to me and it could have been a very different outcome. I had to install one of those automatic door closers on my laundry room door because it would not latch properly and a breeze would open it. For about $30 and a bit of effort I have total piece of mind now!! Had something horrible happened to one of my kitties I could not have forgiven myself. I'm glad kitty is home safe and sound!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Words cannot express how worried I was!

Since coming back in he has been complaining at the door to get out again. A taste of the great outdoors? I soon cured his complaints with a good brushing though. He loves the brush.

Needless to say I will be more careful in future. And I still have grand plans for a catio and/or cat proof fencing.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Premier Cat

I'm fortunate to have a screened-in porch with 24/7 access. When we remodeled, I insisted on having a pet door put in through the wall. Even in the dead of winter they can be seen napping out there!

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
I'm fortunate to have a screened-in porch with 24/7 access. When we remodeled, I insisted on having a pet door put in through the wall. Even in the dead of winter they can be seen napping out there!
That sounds great! We live in a high-set house and the deck hasn't been built yet. My plan was to screen that in, or perhaps the area underneath.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Premier Cat

The access doors are easy to install between the studs unless you have a brick facade like I do. Research "through the wall pet doors". Worth every penny not to have to get up and down to open doors all the time!! The cats learn very quickly how to use it.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Senior Cat

I'm glad to here he's safe.

I don’t let my cats outside because it’s too dangerous between cars, dogs, and cat haters. Lately I have been forgetting to close the door all the way when bringing stuff into the house like fire wood, but I found out that I have a guard dog to keep them in.

I left the door open once for an hour and I freaked out running around counting cats. When I checked the security camera to see how long the door was open, I found that my dog stood guard the whole time.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Cool Cat

I'm so glad your cat came home safely. I do wish, however, that there was a better word to use than escaped. It makes them sound like the prisoners instead of us.

When I first got Zenobi (RIP) she wandered away one time and didn't return until around 11:30 pm. ("got any food?") I was quite worried at the time. Eventually she got to the point of staying near the house. She always came in to use the litterbox.

Missy is not allowed out.

JusJim
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder View Post
I'm glad to here he's safe.

I donít let my cats outside because itís too dangerous between cars, dogs, and cat haters. Lately I have been forgetting to close the door all the way when bringing stuff into the house like fire wood, but I found out that I have a guard dog to keep them in.

I left the door open once for an hour and I freaked out running around counting cats. When I checked the security camera to see how long the door was open, I found that my dog stood guard the whole time.

That's a really interesting picture. Any sign that the cats wanted to get by the dog? There are times when getting into an animal's mind might be very interesting.

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page