spraying - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

spraying

I've always had girl kitties, and I'm embarrassingly ignorant about boy kitty behavior. Do they only spray around other male cats? My stray never used to spray on my deck even when Margaux was sitting out there for long periods with him, or even when she occasionally hissed at him. I know that over the past several months, 2 cats have been coming up on the deck. I don't know whether they're males or not. I've seen one just basking in sun, and both of them eat his food if it's out. I generally take it back in when he's done eating, but if he's not around in the morning, and I'm going to be home late, I do leave it out. I guess they come up just to see if there is food, because even when there isn't any, I see that Casper's sprayed again.

It seems to be awfully frequent lately. Is this becoming a habit, where he's just going to routinely spray? It's not that huge a deal; aluminum siding is easy to clean, and he usually sprays only on the plastic bin and lid. He has, however, also sprayed by his house. I'm really going to be unhappy if he sprays on his $200 house and I have to get a new one. This is his 2nd house, because he sprayed on the first one and wouldn't go in (and then I noticed him in there yesterday!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Premier Cat

The two visiting males are encouraging Casper to spray as he's marking his territory and letting them know it, and perhaps he feels somewhat threatened or at least uneasy with them coming up on the deck. The fact that you're leaving out food is why the visitors are coming to check out if there is any. Even if you're going to be home late, I would not leave any food out at all, and Casper won't starve in the meantime. Only feed him what he will eat up at one time which he will do if he's hungry. He will soon adapt to a new routine. If after some visits, the visitor cats never find food out, they will likely not bother to come any more, and Casper won't feel the need to mark his territory.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Premier Cat

Can you get these other two cat neutered? They may stop once they feel they dont have to mate and mark their territory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
The two visiting males are encouraging Casper to spray as he's marking his territory and letting them know it, and perhaps he feels somewhat threatened or at least uneasy with them coming up on the deck. The fact that you're leaving out food is why the visitors are coming to check out if there is any. Even if you're going to be home late, I would not leave any food out at all, and Casper won't starve in the meantime. Only feed him what he will eat up at one time which he will do if he's hungry. He will soon adapt to a new routine. If after some visits, the visitor cats never find food out, they will likely not bother to come any more, and Casper won't feel the need to mark his territory.
So is he marking now because the two other cats are males? The other possibility that occurred to me is that he didn't spray before either because he's willing to share his turf with my cats, or because he sort of knows that it's actually their turf, not his.

Yeah, I used to always take his food in, because of other critters (raccoons and opossum). They did stop coming around, but I've caught the two cats on my deck a few times. Casper's usually good about showing up when I come out, so I guess I'll have to go back to always taking his food back in when he's done.

Since he's been spraying even though the other cats haven't been out, I'm wondering if he'll eventually stop when they stop coming up on the deck or whether he's just going to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitts & Tess View Post
Can you get these other two cat neutered? They may stop once they feel they dont have to mate and mark their territory.
I don't know for sure that they're males - just my guess since Casper never marked when it was just my girls out there. But I do know that they're both owned, and I'm pretty sure they're neutered. The people in my neighborhood are pretty responsible pet owners, and they haven't ever seen them come up when my girls are out there. I can't get close enough to tell though; they know I don't like them hanging around, so they run off when they see me.

I'll see what happens when there's never any food out anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page