My small cat willnot stop sucking on the blankets!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My small cat willnot stop sucking on the blankets!!

We have a kitten around 2 months old. We got when a little after he was weened. Ever since, and every other hour he makes his way onto our bed and sucks the blankets! He does this during the day, but A LOT during the night. It's hard to sleep when you can hear little slurpping noises and loud purring from him all night.
Why would a cat do this? How can I get him to stop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Cat

He's doing it because its instinctual for him. He is "suckling" like he did with his mama! Usually cats will knead at the same time. He must be very content when he's doing it. My kitten did this for the first couple of months, sucking and kneading on any soft blanket he could find. He is 8 months old now and hasn't done it in a while! Your cat will grow out of it.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for the response. He also kneads while doing it, but most times he will do it until he falls asleep. It's funny to watch, until I try to sleep and he jumps up and starts to slurp, purr and knead! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Cat

No problem! I remember when Toby used to do it and my soft blankets would be soaked, literally! Lol. But it's not a bad thing and your cat will grow out of it 😸your kitty must just be very content and happy!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 03:46 AM
Senior Cat

It's called "wool sucking" and is generally the result of being weaned too early or too fast.

When I foster my bottle babies I will still offer a bottle to them long after they've gotten the whole eating thing down. Some will continue to take it while others don't but they all will eventually just lose interest in the bottle (or momma) before they're 8 weeks. They discover that it's more fun to eat on their own. But I let them decide when they are ready and I don't decide for them.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Cat

Siamese are also prone to suckling and every kitten has a different personality. My eustache still does it when he is cozying up to me and he's 9 months

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Cat Addict

My boys both were separated from mum too early, Doran at 10 days (and then I bottle fed him) and Muffin at 4 weeks (and he refused a bottle/syringe from day one so went straight to wet food).

The both suckled well past a year old, and Doran only lost the habit some time in the last year. Muffin stopped as well, but started again when I got a lovely fuzzy blanket for christmas that he loves.

I think it's adorable, so I've never encouraged them to stop. they only do it when they're super happy and comfortable.

At 2 months old he's still very much a baby, and it could partly be him comforting himself. Like a toddler sucking their thumb. I'd give it time and he'll likely grow out of it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Cat

I have a 4 year old male that loves to lick/suck on my sweatshirts or tshirts, he lost his mother when he was less than 6 weeks old and contribute to not being weened, like you say it is cute and haven't stopped him.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Cat

the male in my username pic did it until he was 1 year old. We gave him a cheap white rope from walmart and whenever he would want to do it we would carry him to the robe so he knew to always do it over there. A lot of times he would be doing it and we would move our finger between his mouth and the robe and he would just sit there sucking on our fingers. I thought it was really cute and never tried to completely stop him. Besides him getting his own robe for $30 there was never any consequence that I saw to his health because of it. Maybe his breath would stink sometimes

We asked our vet about it and she said you can either just stop him each time he starts or make sure he does it on something that doesnt have thick long fabric strands so it doesnt get ingested by him.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Tom Cat

I've got a couple that want to nurse & knead. It's never bothered me much. Neither one sucks on blankets tho, they grab on to my shirt. I've given up & accepted that at least once a day I'll have Methos or PuddyWoW parked on the momshelf and falling asleep with a mouthfull of shirt. Both were bottle babies & this just seems to be a habit I created & they persist in. Since Methos will be 16 in a couple days & PuddyWoW is 3 I really doubt I can convince them to quit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page