Cats are mounting kitten & neighbors breed cats - correlation? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Red face Cats are mounting kitten & neighbors breed cats - correlation?

We adopted a kitten back in December and he's roughly 6 months old now. His integration into our multiple male cat household went very smoothly and I couldn't imagine a better fit. He is respectful of our elderly cats and has become a perfect playmate for our two younger males(both about 2.5 years old). All of our cats, including the kitten, are neutered but the two younger cats were neutered late by their previous owners(both at 1 year of age) and at least one of them has mated(). The kitten is very submissive, gentle, and calm. He shows no signs of wanting to climb the ranks here, so to speak.

Here's the problem: A few weeks ago one of my 2.5 year old boys started to mount the kitten. He's a submissive, anxious cat(he's the same size as the kitten & has a neurological condition - in short) and he absolutely adores other cats. He's a big reason why we adopted the kitten and, when they met, it was love at first sight for both of them(not a single hiss between them). The mounting behavior has increased to the point where it dominates their interactions which used to be more play and cuddle orientated. Not long after he started mounting my other 2.5 year old began to do the same and it too has increased and replaced much of their play time.

The two 2.5 year olds do not interact with each other for reasons that would take another post to explain The smaller kitty is afraid of the bigger kitty, in short, and they avoid each other but enjoy the company of my other cats. We've wondered if perhaps they're trying to compete with each other by fighting for dominance over the kitten as they both adore him, see each other playing with him, and smell their respective scents on him. Our other theory is that they're aware of the age he's reached and fear he will make a "power grab" so they want to keep him in a submissive position in the household. We've also wondered if it has anything to do with the fact that we live next door to a (registered) breeder who may or may not have females in heat at this time.

None of my cats(all indoor-only) spray or behave in other territorial ways; it's a pretty calm home and they all get plenty of attention and have many toys, cat trees, beds, shelves, and other places to enjoy. The dominance mounting does not, btw, appear to hurt the kitten and he doesn't put up much of a fight but will squirm away after awhile.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Cat Addict

I think it's important to know if its actual mounting, or just wrestling. My two boys are always jumping on each other, or pinning each other down, etc. Doran did actually mount Muffin once, but it was right after he'd seen a female in heat and heard her calling...and he got off as soon as Muffin growled and swatted at him.

Try to take a short video of this so we can see if its actually mounting, but my hunch is its just wrestling.

I'm assuming your cats are all neutered, I didn't see it mentioned in your post.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hello - It's not wrestling. Both cats have thoroughly enjoyed wrestling with him, though. It's definitely mounting.

All of my cats(including the kitten) are indeed neutered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Cat Addict

Hm, in that case it may have something to do with your neighbors breeding cats. If a female is in heat they may be able to smell her since she'll likely be scent marking.

Although it's not hurting the kitten it also isn't appropriate, IMO. I'd simply remove them from the kitten every time they mount him, and distract them with something else. They'll get the picture that it isn't allowed over time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for the reply. The mounting is at least gentle in comparison to a cat a friend had who would bite the neck of his "victim" VERY hard. We've been able to remove these two guys with very little effort. The smaller 2.5 year old quickly learned we didn't approve and will run away if we walk towards him while he's mounting. Aside from this behavior they really have great relationships with the kitten.

Living next to breeders also means having unaltered neighborhood cats spraying around our house during the warmer months. One of my 2.5 year olds would become extremely agitated when he'd smell the markings(while we walked him on his harness). I've never seen the cats in action so I imagine the only solution there is to trap and neuter but.. that's a whole other topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page