Cat doesn't like to be brushed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cat doesn't like to be brushed

I have tried two different kinds of brushes on Moosey.

One is the generic cat brush with the thin bristles. I don't like the sound it makes because it seems that it pulls at her skin and scratches her, so we tried a shedding blade (it is a handle with a looped metal piece on the end).

She didn't like either and will bite at me when I use both. Ziggy on the other hand loves them both. I use the shedding blade more because I hate the sound of the regular brush, and again, I am afraid it scratches her. She will lay down and purr and roll over and he coats looks and feels amazing after.

Moosey doesn't shed all that much, but it is enough to be annoying. They were eating Innova, which has grains, which I think made her shed more, but now that they are back on grainfree TOTW, I am hoping it gets better.

Is there any sort of brush that she might like? Or am I out of luck with her ever letting me brush her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Cat

I find with Teddy the most important thing with brushing is timing. He will only like brushing when he is falling asleep, or just waking up from sleep. I start with petting him, and when I see that he does not mind it I slowly start to brush him, and he enjoys it like a good massage. We have 3 different brushes and he loves them all. He also lets me know when he is done with it by biting the brush He would not tolerate brushing and grooming any other time, he has too many things to do.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM
Cat Addict

Many seemed to have good success with Zoom Groom, but not ET, he hates it. I am currently using slicker brush, the one with the stainless steel pins. ET didn't like grooming too till now. I tolerated with biting and scratching for many months before I finally subdued him, lol. Though he doesn't bite or scratch me now, but looking at his body language, his vigorously swishing tail, I know he still didn't like being brushed. I went around it by brushing a few strokes, then 1pc of treat. All he is interested in is the treat, to make him stay through the grooming. The grooming sessions went about very cautiously, lol. Its easier brushing his teeth then combing him, lol. He seemed to enjoy getting teeth brushing.

Another alternative if non of the brushes worked, is to use a sticky lint roller, not the best, but better than nothing at all.

Last edited by snowy; 02-14-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Kitten

What about those "brush mitts" that you wear like a glove and just rub down the cat with? They kinda look like oven mitts. Maybe Moosey wouldn't think of it as brushing but just "love the Moosey" time.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Premier Cat

I bought a cheap hairbursh from the dollar store and that has turned out to be a favorite brush. The tines of the slicker brush, no one likes. The bristles of the cat brush only one of the cats like, but they all seem to like the cheap little hair brush I bought. It's worn down to nubs in places!! Try that.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Premier Cat

I find a wide-toothed comb works better than a brush, although both my girls are long-haired...not sure how well a comb would work on a short-haired cat.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Cool Cat

Zephyr hates being brushed too, but I found a grooming tool that is flexible rubber with large teeth, like a curry comb for horses, and he likes that. (I bought it at an SPCA fundraiser, so I'm not sure where it retails unfortunately.)

Your cat may or may not like that particular tool, but it's one option you could try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Cat

I just bought a 16$ deshedder from Walmart (in Canada...probably less in the USA because everything is cheaper there!) I don't remember the brand, but the handle is black and the tip is squarish and purple. The teeth are all on the bottom of the square, and do a WONDERFUL job at removing hair. All of my cats were a bit unsure of it at first, but now they all seem to enjoy it PARTICULARLY Guinny, who I also happen to be having the most trouble with (for shedding and hairballs). In 24 hours I've brushed off enough fur to make a ball the size of my fist. Best thing about it though, she just LOVES it. The teeth are small and really tight together (all triangles in two pointed rows, made of plastic I think), and it seems to be like a good massage for her. I have a metal deshedder as well, and I can barely touch her with it, so maybe the materials. This one was more expensive, but definitely worth it.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
I bought a cheap hairbursh from the dollar store and that has turned out to be a favorite brush.
I bought one from a $2 shop too, its rubber brush. ET seemed ok with that, but just 2 or 3 usage, the whole thing came apart. Didn't wanna get another one.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Cat Addict

I used one of my old hair brushes with rubber ends on one cat that won't accept a pet brush. He will put up with that for awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page