Back,advice needed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Back,advice needed

I think it was this forum I posted on months ago,but I could be wrong.Anyways I had an outdoor stray cat I took in and wanted to bring him in,well he dosent adjust well to being indoors to say the least.

I am a staff member at a local no kill rescue(I usually foster a dog for them every other week and have 2 of my own)but last Saturday at our adoption event a woman came by with 3 kittens in her car,well one got adopted and 2 didnt.The rescue is temporarily closing for 1-3 months for construction and new kennels,anyways so I am fostering them.

Female(Panda) is long haired male(Simon) is short haired.I am interested in adopting Panda but I have some concerns:

1.I have pretty much found a way to get rid of the kitty smell by mixing cheap litter with expensive litter,making it last longer,but what else can I do?

2.How to keep her off tables and counters(a must).

3.The claws,how to protect furniture?

Right now due to the foster dog and the above ^ they are in my bedroom and I take them out in a kennel on warm days.

Will post pics in a few,sorry this is so long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Premier Cat

So I take it the stray is back outside, and that the concern isn't about Panda getting along with him, just the litter, jumping on counters, and scratching?There are plenty of ways to avoid having problems:

1. If you use clumping litter and scoop the clumps at least twice a day, there shouldn't be any smell, even using a non-scented litter.

2. I've had 2 cats jump up on the counter, but I picked them up and placed them back on the floor. They both tried 3 times, and got put back down on the floor, and stopped jumping up there. If that doesn't work, there are sprays you can get that discourage cats from going wherever it is that you don't want them to go. You can also try squirting water from a spray bottle. Or putting something on the surface that they don't like the feel or sound of, like aluminum foil. I also heard that putting empty soda cans along the edge would discourage them, because they'd fall and make a lot of noise.

3. Get at least a couple of scratching posts - maybe one vertical and one of the flat ones, like the corrugated cardboard ones and put them in places that are easy for them to get to. I've had 3 cats and none has ever scratched any of my furniture. If it's the fabric on furniture you're concerned about, again, you could try one of the sprays, or you could put a throw or towel over it. There are also these things that you can put on their claws. And you should trim their claws regularly.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Cat

I agree with Spirite. I have a ton of scratching posts in my house for Toby... he loves to go for the furniture, but with the posts around, he has gotten 95% better... and for the 5% when he wants to rake his little claws down my couch, I have a squirt bottle near by. He quickly has learned that is a NO NO in the house because of the squirt bottle! It's a life saver! The squirt bottle also works great for the counters/tables. If you tell the cat "get!" right before you squirt them, they will start to associate that word with OH CRAP I'm about to get water blasted on me, and will start to jump off before you have to squirt them. At least Toby does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Jr. Cat

Back,advice needed

I'm working on the counter issue with my cat now. I heard cats don't like black pepper so I put some all over the counter, a huge mess, but it's been worth it. The morning after I noticed some cat prints on the edge of the counter but it looks as if it made him turn and run once he got a whiff of it. Haven't seen any marks since. It's a huge inconvenience but seems to be doing the trick. I'm going to leave it another day or two and see what happens.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Premier Cat

1. Yes definitely scoop clumping litter twice a day....you may also sprinkle in some bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)....look for a larger box in the laundry section, rather than baking section.

2. double-sided sticky pads (some pet stores carry them) may help, but I like the Scccat! Automated Cat Repellent (Amazon carries it as well as pet stores). It works when you're not there.

3. Clip the claws every 3 weeks. Drape the furniture in sheets.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page