Just had the worst scare of my life with Toby! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Just had the worst scare of my life with Toby!

So... Around 1:30 am, I figured it was time to hit the sack so I was walking around looking for Toby to bring to bed with me. Usually when I call his name, he comes running.

Well...he didn't. So I'm searching and searching in all the little places he's usually sleeping.

Not there! Sooo... I start to search in places where in my head I'm thinking there's no way he is going to be here but better check anyway.

Not there. So finally I'm like okay..this is weird. Maybe my boyfriend let him in the room already. But that wouldn't make sense because I had just seen Toby walking around out here because i removed his harness and I definitely would have noticed or heard Justin open the bedroom door.

Then I realize how frigid it is in the house and I feel my heart start to pound. I run to the back door, and low and behold... It's open!!!!

Omg. You want to talk about sheer panic? I had numerous thoughts running through my head (why is the back door open?! Was it justin or me?! Toby runs off from me, there's no way he will come if I call him. He can be anywhere!) and finally I just dash out the door and I'm just yelling his name over and over again.

After 30 seconds, I'm realizing ok I need to put a jacket on, grab a flash light, and start the hardcore search. And I'm starting to feel hopeless, mind you. The few times I have let Toby out on his own (no harness) he refuses to come to me AND just dashes off. And it's a rural area so if he did run off, he could be anywhere!

Well...just as I'm about to head back inside, I give one last name call and hear the quiet little "mewwww mewwww". My heart LITERALLY jumped in relief! So I continue to call his name and he continues to "mew" and I track him down next to the fence, hunkered down.

Literally, he sprang into my arms. It was the best feeling in the world! I am so immensely relieved. And I find it somehow ironic that I joined this cat forum to talk about cats and then I was thinking how terrible it is that I have just lost this cat!!!

Luckily, the big man was watching out for me tonight. And I'm SO thankful that Toby stayed close and didn't run off, like I thought. He seemed pretty freaked out, not his normal giddy self during day time hours. He must have walked outside thinking "hehehe, left the door open" and then realized "hey...it's dark and cold out here. This sucks! Now which way do I go to get back? Ummmm........"

Anyways, I had to vent! Clearly no one else is up at 3 am like me but posting to a forum makes it easy and nice! I'm never letting this happen again! Gah! Hope none of you have experienced this! Toby is back in the safety of my home so all is well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 03:56 AM
Cat Addict

Thank goodness! he didn't venture far. I can understand how that feels. My hubby came home 1st and left our front door wide open (gate closed but my gate is only half meshed) and then went into the toilet. I got home minutes later and didn't find ET. Searched his usual hiding area, nowhere in sight. I panicked, went out to search, no sight of him. Went back home, the moment I stepped in, I saw something moving - THERE HE IS! He was playing hide and seek with me. He came out of hiding, then let out a very loud "MEOWWW" - "I won the game!".
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

I know that feeling all too well. You feel like you're going to have a heart attack right then and there.

When Cleo was pretty new with me, I went into her bedroom first thing in the morning and there she was. In the tree OUTSIDE, looking in the window at me!!!! I ran outside in my nightgown and she jumped down from the tree and ran to the fence and jumped over it!! I ran back inside, starting to cry, throwing some clothes on, not knowing if I'd ever find her, since she's an inside-only cat. I was almost dressed when I looked down and there was Cleo looking up at me. As if I was CRAZY!

Turns out, there was a new cat in the cul-de-crap where I lived who looked JUST LIKE CLEO!

Same thing happened the next morning, too, only I knew it wasn't my cat looking me in the face in the tree outside.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 AM
Cat Addict

Wrong identity! soo...funny! but that's just how kitties can make us look like a crazy lady.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 04:38 AM
Cat Addict

I'm glad it worked out! Most cats are never far from home, just hidden somewhere or trapped somewhere.

I know that feeling pretty well, I can think of at least 10 times. My first cat Lucky got out and hid behind a bush in the front yard, the dog sat in front of the bush until we checked behind it! He was also stuck in the nextdoor neighbour's garage for a few days.

Blaze fell off the balcony once, and was hiding in the bushes below. He's also got out at the house a few times and we haven't known where he is, once or twice we found him under the shed, a few other times he was just calmly hanging about outside oblivious to our worry... who knows where he'd been!

Blacky was missing for about 24 hours once, maybe twice. One of those times we were super worried, she never goes far from home. We think she pulled a muscle following us on a walk and lay low, we found her the next day basically where we'd last seen her. At the cabin we try and bring her in at night but there's been a few nights where she just didn't come when called, I'd go out at 2 am to find her sound asleep on the water tank.

The one that really took the cake was my aunt's cat, we couldn't find her for over 24 hours, looked everywhere, were calling all night long, put up posters the next morning... she was trapped on the sun deck. Happily! After that ordeal she wanted back out there! Meanwhile, we'd looked out there several times each... never saw a cat.

They can hide so well, and when they're scared they may not come out or respond when you call, so it can be a really tough search of combing every inch of the closest surrounding properties.

Along with the dogs
and
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Senior Cat

omg, i know the feeling. it never happened to me (knock on the wood) but to my mom and i remember how awful i felt.

actually she called me few days ago that she went through horrible experience with one of our cats missing.
basically one afternoon few days ago my mom noticed that one cat is missing. her cats are indoors so she was sure she is sleeping somewhere, but when the cat did not show up for her meal, she got worried. she searched her whole place, no sign of Fairytale (that's the cat's name). she did not come out when called, etc. my mom got super worried and panicky, took flashlight and searched whole neighborhood, but no luck. she got home, it was bed time, she did not sleep whole night she was so upset. very early next morning she searched neighborhood again, and again no luck.
she got home and cried and cried, she was sure Fairytale is gone, that something wrong happened to her. and then out of the blue, after 24 hours of not showing up, Fairytale appeared like a ghost in front of her. she must have been hiding somewhere, my mom has no idea where. she took her to the vet just to check is everything is ok. turned out Fairytale had loose tooth that was likely hurting so that's why she was hiding for so long. they pulled the tooth out and now she in just the same kitty.

my mom said she had multiple heart attacks and cried liters of tears. and she did not know what to tell me - Fairytale used to be my cat before I moved to the US (I am from Europe and my mom lives there) and i have very very soft spot for her. I usually dont play favorites but I feel very special about her and would love to have her here in the US. I miss her everyday.

Anna + Josie and Blackberry

Last edited by anie; 02-15-2013 at 11:43 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Senior Cat

Wow. I've never had this happen with my kitties (they're all deathly afraid of outside and will run away from an opening door.) I HAVE had it happen a few times with my dog. Oh....my....gawd. I know that death drop of the heart into the stomach and the surge of adrenaline feeling as you panic and start thinking of every worst case scenario.

We bought a house last year with a large backyard but it's on a very busy road, a main one in town. I'm constantly terrified of losing someone. My husband is pretty forgetful and sometimes will leave a door open. I installed those spring hinge things on the doors so they'll automatically shut. My dog got out when a power guy came to look in the backyard and I was so panicked. The busy street and new neighborhood were both unfamiliar to her. I started walking around the neighborhood behind my house and found her happily galloping around in people's yards.

Gah! The memory has me shaking! Lol.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Tom Cat

We had this happen a few months ago. My fiancÚ was in the living room and noticed that the dining room seemed extra bright, and lo and behold the back door was open. One of our danes, Zephyr was playing in the yard (luckily its fenced) and came running. After a head count she realized that Ghost, our then 8 month old Siamese was missing. Back outside to find Zephyr running back and forth from the gate to the front of the house to her. She walked over to the gate where Zephyr was pacing and whining and saw Ghost sitting on the walkway by the front of the house! Good thing Zephyr knew that that kitty didn't belong outside!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla baxter View Post
We had this happen a few months ago. My fiancÚ was in the living room and noticed that the dining room seemed extra bright, and lo and behold the back door was open. One of our danes, Zephyr was playing in the yard (luckily its fenced) and came running. After a head count she realized that Ghost, our then 8 month old Siamese was missing. Back outside to find Zephyr running back and forth from the gate to the front of the house to her. She walked over to the gate where Zephyr was pacing and whining and saw Ghost sitting on the walkway by the front of the house! Good thing Zephyr knew that that kitty didn't belong outside!

Dogs have a great instinct for things like this! I'm glad I'm not alone in times like these, they're terrifying. And I'm glad in the end, everyone found their furry friend!

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Cat Addict

Glad it worked out well for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page