Quiet Kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quiet Kitty

Gandalf, my boyfriend's fluffy blue-grey, long-hair kitty doesn't really ever meow. He looks just like his sister Bella who has black hair, and also lives with another of his sisters named Biscuit who doesn't look like either of them with short, dilute tortie hair.

Mainly, he'll meow when he's impatient for food, tiny meows that just seek to urge me along. And while Bella isn't as silent, she'll meow and make noises when she plays. She'll also begin to purr immediately and healthily when I pet her. Gandalf rarely purrs, and when he does, it's low and also quiet. He usually only purrs with my boyfriend (I think he prefers males).

Biscuit, on the other hand, is very vocal! She'll tell me whenever she needs something: food, water, cleaner litter, play time, more food, more food, MORE FOOD! Mew mew mew! lol If it weren't for her, I wouldn't know until much later when anyone needed anything. She has been my Kitty Needs alarm.

Do any of you live with very quiet kitties?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Premier Cat

Muffs is an extremely quiet cat. Indeed, her nickname is "Muffs the Silent". She will meow if I take her in the car...one or two tiny little squeaks. And if anyone other than me tries to pick her up, she screams (like a child in pain). Other than that, it is extremely unusual to hear Muffs make any sort of sound...it happens perhaps once a year.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Senior Cat

Our two kittens are very quiet, seldom meow at all. Only when they are looking for each other, do they say much and that happens rarely.

Mylita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Cool Cat

I am blessed with 2 very quite cats! I really can't stand loud or long meows. It will give me a headache. So when I choose cats, I intentionally look for quite breeds. And I got exactly what I wished for!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Premier Cat

I have 5 indoor cats that are all quiet as church mouses, except Missy who trills.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Senior Cat

My 3 cats rarely meow. Just when they are about to get fed. Otherwise they are pretty quiet and happy. Occasionally they start up with the screaming when my kitten starts wrestling and chasing everyone all over the place, my female HATES that!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 AM
Premier Cat

My first cat, Olivia, only meowed in the car, and Margaux and Celia are also really quiet.

Margaux only meows when she's unhappy (ie, in the car). She does growl and hiss at the vet's and occasionally when the stray startles her.

When Celia escaped a couple of weeks after I got her, the neighbor who found her said she was meowing. But I thought the neighbor must have heard a different cat, because the first time I heard Celia meow was probably about 7 or 8 years after I got her. Seriously. I was convinced she wasn't capable of meowing. Over the past year or so, once in a while, I'll get a tiny little meow when she's hungry - more often though, it's the silent meow. I've heard her hiss once, when I stepped on her tail by accident. However, when she peed on herself and I was bathing her in the tub, she made a really funny noise. Not a meow. She sounded like a siren going off - aaah, aaah, aaah.

And when they fight, someone yowls, but to this day, I haven't been able to figure out who. Might be Celia.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Cali makes a soft "caw" sound. She can meow, but only does so in the cat carrier and while at the vet this last time. He thought it was the cutest little sound!

Charlee trills. I call her my R2D2 kitty.

Cleo talks. And talks and talks and lectures and complains. But I love it!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Cool Cat

Maisie is very, very quiet. He's gotten slightly more vocal now than he was when I first got him, but I still rarely hear him.

Zephyr, on the other hand, talks enough for both of them.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:59 PM
Kitten

Lucy is very quiet. I have to listen very closely to hear her purr and she very rarely meows. Gypsy on the other hand...wakes us up early in the morning for food and meows sometimes around 11 pm, even though she has just been fed. It only lasts for about 5 minutes or so, could be calling Lucy to play with her. The thing I love the most about Gypsy is that she has a very loud, almost bleating purr. It is one of the most beautiful, soothing sounds I have ever heard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page