Do you let your cats go outside - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Question Do you let your cats go outside

Hi I wondering how many of you guys let your cats go outside my cats are strictly indoor cats, but my neighbors say I should let them go outside and explore but I really don't think it's the best idea with them. There's a lot of dangers associated with going outdoors, cars,dogs,other animals that prey on smaller ones here in FL, fleas and ticks just to many con's for me. I fully understand some cats just want to be outside and there's just no keeping them in as I had 1like that for 17 yrs and sadly he got hit by a car and died after that I swore I would never allow my cats outside. My neighbors say my cats must be bored but actually they are quite content here in the home. I just wanted to know if I was wrong for keeping them in, I just don't want to see anything bad happen to my babies my kids would be devastated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Cat Addict

Well then you have your answer. Do what you feel is right for your own comfort level and their own well-being. Sometimes the pros of the outdoors outweigh the cons, but overall, especially in cities, cats are safest indoors.

Blacky is indoor/outdoor, but she is terrified of cars, ignores strangers, hardly ever leaves the yard and doesn't hunt wildlife. She came to us as a semi-feral cat terrified of the indoors. I'm not even sure she totally gets the purpose of a litter box, the outdoor life is what she knows and it would be cruel to change. She's lived a good long life this way, and even if something killed her tomorrow I wouldn't have regrets on her being indoor/outdoor. Quality vs quantity in her case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Cat

No I don't let Autumn outdoors ever for all the reasons you mentioned, just too much at stake for her safety.

My next door neighbor lets her cats out even in the very cold weather without any type of sweater on. She defecates on other properties I've been told and doesn't pick up after her cats, now that's just wrong.

Autumn seems to be very happy indoors, she has everything she needs to keep her busy when she isn't sleeping which we all know cats do the most. I make sure she gets to sit at any window so she can look outside and sleep in the sun shining in.

When I'm bringing groceries in, the door is open and she has never attempted to run out, in fact I think she is afraid of the outdoors and that's just fine with me.

I would not feel comfortable if I let her out, I would be a wreck until she came back home. Sorry this got so long but I am so against letting cats outdoors.

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Cool Cat

My cats are indoor-only and always will be.

Now, before I go further, I want to make clear that I have no problem with other cat owners making a different decision. I am not intending to criticize anyone for letting their pet go outside.

That said, for me, it's never going to happen. Because of a traumatic experience when I was a kid, I just can't go there.

My cats have no interest in going outside. Zephyr has been with me since he was a baby and has never gone out, so he doesn't really seem to see it as even an option. Maisie was abandoned by his original owners and lived as a stray, so he associates the outside with neglect, starvation, and being out in the elements... he has no desire to go there, and when I first got him he actually acted afraid when he thought I might put him outside. I really don't think I'm depriving them by keeping them in.

Having indoor cats is not cruel, as long as you're providing them sufficient mental stimulation and exercise. (Having outdoor cats isn't cruel either as long as they're fed, sheltered, and otherwise cared for.) It's a personal decision for each owner and each cat, and you shouldn't feel bad about doing what you think is right for yourself and your babies.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heston View Post
My next door neighbor lets her cats out even in the very cold weather without any type of sweater on. She defecates on other properties I've been told and doesn't pick up after her cats, now that's just wrong.
Cats shouldn't wear a sweater outdoors. It isn't safe, they can snag on things, and if they get wet the cat is in serious danger of hypothermia. Cats already are wearing a coat... it's their own fur. Blacky likes it outdoors in any weather, she can come and go as she likes... admittedly, she spends way more time indoors in the winter, but she still goes out for a few hours every day.

As far as picking up after your cat... I know some people have problems with this, but even if I didn't have an outdoor cat... I find this idea absurd, and a waste of plastic bags and time. There's millions of feral cats out there and no one is picking up after them. The idea of following around your cat to see when and where it goes to the bathroom is a bizarre concept. Unlike dogs, where it should be picked up after, cat poop is smaller, cats bury it, and it's usually in a very out of the way location.

Along with the dogs
and
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you guys, Carmel I totally get what your saying my cats have always be indoor cats since they were babies and know not different they are the exact opposite of Blacky.

Heston my cats are like Autumn they hardly ever try to make a run for it and if they accidentally got out they are by my door crying to get in I worry b/c my boy is a special needs Kitty he has a heart defect and I like to keep an extra close eye on him at all times to make sure he is up to par.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Tom Cat

Casie was strictly an indoor cat up until her last years of life. I used to let her out on our upper deck(no way to get down from it) and she would just enjoy herself there. Then I convinced my parents to let me walk her on a leash. She was old enough that she didn't leave sight of the house and didn't wander, so I let her off leash. She was ALWAYS supervised by me.

I do take Cherry out on the deck with me, but I can't trust her as much as Casie. She also is not allowed in the yard. My parents don't want her constantly trying to escape the house. Casie had already learned about the outdoor years before and was always trying to get out.

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Cat Addict

My semi-feral - Princess Tramp - spends a lot of time out (less or more depending on the weather) - Lottie and Jem go out but, while they like being allowed to go in and out, they never stay longer than 10 minutes or so. Becky we keep an eye on and never let out unless it is full light - I don't just mean day - if there's a mist we don't let her out. Oz and Baz (for different reasons) never go out without supervision. Having said that, we forgot to lock the back door when we went out the other day and Oz knows how to open doors. We came back to a wide open door and all six inside!!!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Tom Cat

I live in an apartment, so we don't let the cats out, but this weekend it was in the 80's so I cleaned our balcony and left the door open to see if they wanted to come out. My boyfriend was aboslutely terrified because we live on the 3rd floor and he was afraid they would jump off. I think that is just silly, because they aren't stupid... But to be safe, I set up a few shelves so they couldn't fit through the bars.

Ziggy, the brave little kitten, came out on the balcony first, so then my big scared Moosey decided it was okay. They were slinking around sniffing, but didn't get comfortable enough to lay down or enjoy themselves and the first movement sent them right back through the door. I will probably try this again, but as for letting them out, that is a big NO. We have skunks, raccoons and we live pretty close to the 5 freeway and the mountains.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Tom Cat

Do you let your cats go outside

Your boyfriend's concern isn't silly. It's quite common for a cat to fall off a balcony. It's nicknamed high rise syndrome and it can be very dangerous.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by marie73; 02-18-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page