Scratching the furniture - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Scratching the furniture

Well I just posted a thread that I can't pick the cat up because it freaks her out. How do I get her to stop scratching the furniture? I was trying to show her what I wanted her to scratch on but basically she knows all about the cat tree, the sisal scratching thing and the 6 foot cat tree and my wicker laundry basket. But she still likes my sofas when she is near them. I tell her no and she runs but if I try to gently pick her up and put her on any of the other acceptable things, she loses the lesson from the fear of picking up. Or maybe she just wants to be in the "moment." Any ideas to stop the sofa scratching?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Cool Cat

First off, I would keep her claws well trimmed. If they're nice and blunt, she can't do much damage.

Secondly, have you tried rubbing some catnip on the scratching post? That got Maisie interested enough to use it when he was having trouble.

Also, to discourage the scratching on the sofa, you can hang tin foil where she likes to scratch. Cats hate the sound of their nails on foil, so it teaches them an aversion to trying to use their claws in that spot. You should be able to take the foil down again once she's learned her lesson.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Should I clip nails with an outdoor cat? I can't imagine her letting me do that. I have read some people do when they are sleeping. This cats seems to sleep on alert. In fact when I get up in the morning I don't know where she comes from. She hides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

I have those incline scratchers right next to my furniture. Actually, I take them out of the little incline holders, they like them lying flat on the ground.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 AM
Premier Cat

Are all of the scratching surfaces sisal? One of my cats won't touch sisal; she will only scratch carpet, so I have scratching posts in both materials. What part(s) of the couch does your kitty likes to scratch? If tin foil doesn't work, try just hanging an old towel or a throw over the arm of the couch. or covering the cushions with a throw.

What fabric is your couch? Nubby fabrics are generally going to be more appealing than something like microsuede.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I have carpet - two kinds which are both used by both cats. I have sisal used by both cats. But if the cat is near the sofa or on the sofa she scratches the sofa. Every morning when I come out of the bedroom they get excited and run around and scratch things. Sofa can be one. She also loves to hold on and pull herself along the bottom of the sofa by her claws. The fabric is nubby and rugged. So far I see no damage but I only have the cats 5 months. I had covered the sofas and that worked but then my house looked crappy. Honestly cat furniture all over, toys, and covered sofas. She seems to like the bottom side because she can hide next to table and do it. I have also seen her do the arms. I truly think she knows she shouldn't do it because I yell at her and she stops. If I can spray her with water I do. In the beginning I was able to pick her up and put her on the right post and show her to do it there and then praise her. Now she runs. But you know she knows she shouldn't be on the counters and table and does it when I am not looking too!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
But if the cat is near the sofa or on the sofa she scratches the sofa. Every morning when I come out of the bedroom they get excited and run around and scratch things.
This is exactly why I have the scratchers next to my sofa and chair. And one next to the door. And two in every room. At least they run and scratch the scratchers, not my stuff.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Tom Cat

I, too, have the scratching posts by the couch (stand up) and I have one that is on the floor (cardboard). When they start to scratch the couch or carpet, I just move the scratching post over to them and they usually switch to the cardboard (it has catnip sprinkled on it). Also, giving them treats every time they use the scratching post will condition them to know that if they scratch on that surface, they get a yummy treat.

I find that both Ziggy and Moosey Will pull themselves along the bottom of the couch, I have noticed they do this most when there is a toy stuck under there.

The girls have started scratching on our bed and my boyfriend's leather computer chair, so it is time to get another couple posts for them in our room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page