Nervy cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Nervy cat

I have problems with one cat jumping on the counter and since she probably licks some things in the sink or finds a crumb I am not making any headway. Plus I seem to stink at training. She runs away and knows she is not supposed to do it. Today I am talking on the phone facing the stove and my back is to my counter where a bagel with cream cheese is waiting for me and I turn around and she is licking the cream cheese off the bagel. She jumped as soon as she saw my face. Come on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Cat Addict

I definitely couldn't leave a bagel with cream cheese lying around!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I a standing within a foot just with my back to that counter. My other cats would never do something like this. I think it is because these cats lived outdoors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Cool Cat

Nervy cat

My cats have always been indoors but if they decide they want something, they'll try to take it no matter how close we are! Meeka has a thing about drinking from my glass, whether it be water, milk, juice she'll do everything in her power to get to it. Has even done it to me when I've been holding my glass but talking and not paying attention to her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Bec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Cat

It's a cat thing.

My family's cats would be disciplined if they ever got on the counter or table. We later found out they ended up there when we weren't around :/

My cats are allowed on anything and everything. BUT when I'm preparing or eating food they are not allowed to steal any. I've trained both of them to sit back and watch (one needs constant reminders).

As soon as I abandon the food it's fair game, though. And whatever cats want they will get. Skooma enjoys eating cheese and if she sees me coming towards the counter she horks it back as fast as she can before I take her away.

I figure if they're going on the counters anyways I might as well let them up there and train some good manners instead. I wash before cooking but that's the only difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat owner again View Post
I have problems with one cat jumping on the counter and since she probably licks some things in the sink or finds a crumb I am not making any headway. Plus I seem to stink at training. She runs away and knows she is not supposed to do it. Today I am talking on the phone facing the stove and my back is to my counter where a bagel with cream cheese is waiting for me and I turn around and she is licking the cream cheese off the bagel. She jumped as soon as she saw my face. Come on!
ok, time for the BIG guns! Go to a sporting goods or boating store and buy one of those air blaster horns! They make really, really loud honking noises and blast it when he jumps on the counter! You have GOT to have him associate a negative experience with the counter or you will never break this habit.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
ok, time for the BIG guns! Go to a sporting goods or boating store and buy one of those air blaster horns! They make really, really loud honking noises and blast it when he jumps on the counter! You have GOT to have him associate a negative experience with the counter or you will never break this habit.
Sorry, I think that sounds like bad advice. The truth is, cats aren't especially susceptible to training. If they're doing something you don't like, you can change the environment to hopefully discourage them from doing it again, but this sounds like punishment, and we know punishment doesn't work. Why blast out their eardrums??

To the OP, we've had a bunch of threads on this topic, and ultimately most people's answers are the same -- get used to it, let them do it, keep Clorox Wipes around, and just wipe down the counter when you're cooking. We've had Murphy on the counter about a million times since we got him, and nothing bad has ever happened. What I remind myself is -- we've limited their whole world to the inside of your house. Are you really going to restrict him from going where he wants to? They need to explore and love to climb on things. Just adapt to it, don't try to change it.

Holly and Murphy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Sorry, I think that sounds like bad advice. The truth is, cats aren't especially susceptible to training. If they're doing something you don't like, you can change the environment to hopefully discourage them from doing it again, but this sounds like punishment, and we know punishment doesn't work. Why blast out their eardrums??

To the OP, we've had a bunch of threads on this topic, and ultimately most people's answers are the same -- get used to it, let them do it, keep Clorox Wipes around, and just wipe down the counter when you're cooking. We've had Murphy on the counter about a million times since we got him, and nothing bad has ever happened. What I remind myself is -- we've limited their whole world to the inside of your house. Are you really going to restrict him from going where he wants to? They need to explore and love to climb on things. Just adapt to it, don't try to change it.
Obviously you would put it in their ears!!! A loud short blast will not harm them and the poster was looking for ideas. That is just one. It worked for me - for the most part - and kitty was non the worse for it. Sometimes tough love is called for. The worst that could happen is kitty is afraid of loud noises.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I have used an empty soda can with pennies with my dog and that kinda worked. I do yell at the cats and then they are just scared of me. If she goes on the counter when I am not there, ok, she can get away with it but eating my food within a foot of me is no respect! Plus she had just eaten a couple of hours earlier. I feed them before me. Honestly I was used to a lot more quiet and wasn't planning on getting any more animals. I just couldn't see how I was going to find a good home for them. I still wish I could and feel comfortable they would have a good life. And they can go outside anytime they way except at night. So far I have been able to keep them in before i go to bed because if any coyotes come, that is when it iwill be here late at night or early morning hours.

Last edited by cat owner again; 02-22-2013 at 12:20 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Cat

Have you tried a spray bottle? I used that to keep the kitties out of the Christmas tree and they caught on pretty quickly. Thank goodness they don't get on my counters, that I know of (knock on wood) A funny story.....I was opening a soda can and it made that noise of air coming out quickly. My male kitty, Ray, was sitting on my lap. He jumped and ran when he heard the noise and now whenever I get out a soda, he takes off . They can learn! I've taught both of them to sit up for a treat and when I say "go to your room" they run right in. Just be consistant and patient. It will happen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page