TOO excited? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

TOO excited?

We play with Rory (7 months old) plenty, and he has lots of toys. But I noticed when he first was introduced to the laser pen he got REALLY hyper. His breathing goes crazy, almost wheezing; his pupils go HUUUGE; his ears are going all over the place and I was wondering if he could be TOO excited?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Jr. Cat

There is a level of excitement in my dog that I like to avoid but I have never seen any of my cats get *that* excited. Basically, if I think my pet's level of excitement is going to lead to injury then I try to calm things down.

Also, I personally don't play with laser pointers because my kitties are never able to actually *catch* anything and I worry that it will leave them frustrated. In dogs I have heard of playing with laser pointers leading to dogs who will attach shadows/light coming in the window.

Mine would rather play with a string or any toys I throw down the hall for them to chase... they just look so happy to chase after it and then prance back with it in their mouth.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Cat Addict

At my home, the huge dilated pupils are a sign that Nala's about to begin the Midnight Kitty Olympics and will be too busy running and jumping at full speed to listen to anybody and heaven help the other cat if she gets in the way.

Never an issue with breathing though.

If it's you guiding the play with a toy, I'd put it down after 10 minutes or so and give him a break.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaCat View Post
At my home, the huge dilated pupils are a sign that Nala's about to begin the Midnight Kitty Olympics and will be too busy running and jumping at full speed to listen to anybody and heaven help the other cat if she gets in the way.

Never an issue with breathing though.

If it's you guiding the play with a toy, I'd put it down after 10 minutes or so and give him a break.
Nah it's instant, I'm avoiding the toy for a bit
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Senior Cat

I like the lazer pen, tires them out, which is a plus with active kittens. All I do is, when I'm done with it, I let them catch a toy, like one of the little mice. That way, they aren't too frustrated with not catching something and get a reward.

Mylita
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylita View Post
I like the lazer pen, tires them out, which is a plus with active kittens. All I do is, when I'm done with it, I let them catch a toy, like one of the little mice. That way, they aren't too frustrated with not catching something and get a reward.

Mylita
I have heard of this and it is a good way to use the laser toy and still let them have the joy of catching something.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Senior Cat

TOO excited?

All three of mine get like this, including the 7 year old. They will have crazy sprinting moments when their ears will go back and they sprint/bunny hop around the house. I find its best to stay out of their way when they are like this unless they are causing trouble.

I agree, I try to avoid getting my dog like this. She is quite high energy and gets over excited very easily.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page