Behavior changes - is your cat the same as when you got it? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Behavior changes - is your cat the same as when you got it?

I feel like my cat is becoming less and less cuddly everyday. When I first got her a year ago, I was told she was a lap cat... and for those first few weeks, she'd always jump on my lap and knead on my belly!

She stopped doing that, but on most days would at least cuddle with me in the mornings when I woke up and some nights before I went to sleep. She also always ran to the door to see me when I came home.

Now I feel like she only runs to the door sometimes... and she hardly ever cuddles with me. She only likes being petted sometimes. She still gives me kisses almost everytime I ask (she licks my nose), and sometimes sleeps on my bed next to me, but she hardly ever lays down on top of me for cuddles and when she does it's for about 5 seconds.

She wants to play all the time when I'm home. She's always been playful, but I think nowadays she only ever wants to play. I chase her around the house and have her try to catch her favorite toy--which I made for her... she jumps around everywhere, from sofa to sofa, to the table, she is so quick! She gets tired and rests for a couple of minutes, then wants to play again.

She is about 2 years old. I thought she'd mellow out by now, but instead she's becoming more active. Which is great, it keeps her fit and healthy, and I have a lot of fun playing with her, but I miss the daily cuddles.

Does anyone else feel like their cat's personality changed a lot over time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Cat Addict

Yes, all my cats personalities changed a huge amount considering they were all semi-feral to start with. Jasper most recently has gone from a cat I needed leather gloves around (and even with them still have scars on hands) to a cat that plays without using his claws.

Often cats aren't the same as when you get them, it takes them a while to settle in. Some could be over affectionate if they were starved for attention, others start out extremely nervous... it could take years for them to slowly unfold.

Sometimes cats go through phases too... she's young and playful. I wouldn't let it get to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Senior Cat

Yes, my kitten went from independent and crazy to cuddly and crazy, LOL. The others really haven't changed much. I think they mature from kittenhood and that change is most dramatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Tom Cat

Total Mama's boy at 11-12 weeks. From 4-10 months was way too cool for school - no cuddling, biting for attention, etc. At 1yr now he's back to mama's boy. He's turned back Into a sweet lap cat, but is very selective. He only likes my lap.

I'm hoping the bratty teenage months are behind us for good, because he's exactly the type of cat I was looking for.

He still gets a little moody, but so do I. We're perfectly suited for one another.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Cool Cat

Zephyr is the same in personality as he's been since he was a baby, but Maisie has become much more secure, trusting, and demonstrative of affection in the time he has lived with me (since age two, and he's now seven.)

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Banned

Artie has changed so much since I adopted him. A year ago, he was just wanting to be loved by someone and wanting to love someone. He has gotten so vocal! He rarely meowed, but now he is always Yelling at me! and he trills for his food!
We used to play for at least half an hour twice a day. That has really cut down; but, he loves to run! That is done at once a day..all over the apartment, with me chasing him! That is our play.
Artie now curls up on my lap every night while I am sitting on the recliner, watching tv.
He also sleeps cuddled up to me, in bed, every night---my bed is now his bed, he shares it with me!
While I am home, Artie now follows me around from room to room and does not leave me...
In short, he has come more 'into' his personality...
One thing though, he has never gotten out of his skittishness..he still jumps at noise and stops what he is doing and runs and hides; even with feliway running...
He is my buddy and my love..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Cat Addict

I adopted Nala and Penny when they were adults (5 and 7, respectively) and now they're almost 9 and 11. They have basically the same personalities, Penny being a laid back cuddler who is shy around strangers and Nala being a high energy refrigerator jumper who will occasionally land and curl up on your lap just to let you know that it is really her lap. The only difference is Penny has developed more of a talkative nature as she has gotten older.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Senior Cat

Yes all of mine changed and in fact the youngest two still are changing. The youngest(Sophie) was very cuddly active and out going at 12 weeks. She's now very independent, still very playful but not as much as before, hates cuddles (expect for when she sleeps next to us at night) and doesn't like being picked up anymore.

Anna started off nervous, hated our dog, scared of people and very reserved. She's now crazy hyper, loves people, cuddly and turned into a total lap cat.

Sasha we got last year at 6 years old, she was terrified of the other cats, dog, wouldn't play or cuddle and say terribly frightened of my boyfriend. She now follows me like a shadow, loves my bf, loves the other cats, tolerates the dog and is very playful now.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:26 AM
Jr. Cat

Mm . . . Biscuit, my most outgoing and extroverted kitty, is very much the same. Very interested in everything, brave, but she has become much closer to me and does see me as mama cat.

Bella, on the other hand has changed, and I think is still in the process of maturing. She has become more confident, she plays with the others more, and is not as o painfully shy that she runs away from me. I have grown very, very fond of her and she loves to cuddle and fall asleep with me.

Gandalf has not changed at all. Somber, large alpha who does not like anything he doesn't want first. He will not submit if I scruff him, he's just very lone, very independent. Truly an interesting, complex personality. I'm still trying to bond with him. He's really my boyfriend's cat, instantly loved him, Gandalf chose him. He's an absolute baby for him.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 05:09 AM
Jr. Cat

YES! Our cat was terrified at the shelter. After about 2 weeks at home she changed dramatically (became less cuddly). However, after a couple of months she became cuddly again, but in a different way (scared/docile cuddly vs affectionate cuddly).

Cats can also change with age. You never know what personality will be revealed next!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page