Introducing young cat to kitten? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Introducing young cat to kitten?

So, my current cat Morrigan is about six months old now and we've been presented with the opportunity to take in a three month old kitten as a companion for her.

I've been reading up about introductions but I'm still a little unsure. I know that if there's an adult cat involved that you have to do the introductions gradually but that kittens can often be put together straight away and allowed to sort out their differences themselves. I'm not sure which approach to take.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Jr. Cat

I'm going to be watching this thread closely...I have to do the same thing in a few months, and I'm equally clueless :]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Cat Addict

I'd bring the new baby in in a carrier and set her in the middle of the floor just like that. See how they react to each other; excited, scared, upset, ect. A little bit of hissing is fine, but watch the rest of the body language.

TBH I've done straight intros at that age and it's always gone nice and easy. Use toys and treats to break the tension since kittens at that age have short attention spans. They'll likely be best buddies within a few hours.

That being said I wouldn't leave the new kitten alone with the older one, but that's mostly because at that age I'm all about promoting good litter box habits by putting the young kitten in a smaller room with a litter box when they can't be supervised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Cat

I just got a tiny companion for my almost 5 months old kitty. The older and bigger kitten loves to play with the tiny one, but also loves to show who is the boss at home. The tiny one is a provoker, and teases him a lot... So even under supervision we get quite a few fights.

That being said, they both cannot stand to be apart. At all. They both cry when separated by door. But for now they are separated when I am not at home, as the bigger kitty is not gentle at all, and he is 5 times bigger...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Jr. Cat

I would supervise the contact for awhile and allow the newbie to sleep alone in a separate room until you KNOW they are compatible. That being said, I introduced two new kittens to my one year old cat and it was love at first sight. I was astounded. You would have thought they were long-lost siblings... I did separate them the first night (because I would be sleeping and unable to watch for trouble) but it wasn't necessary after that.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Okay, so I've had our new little girl home for about three hours now.

There's been a lot of hissing and posturing but nothing physical, and now the new kitty is just enjoying exploring her new home so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Morrigan looks truly offended that she's not an only child anymore, but hopefully she'll get over it :p

They'll be kept apart tonight while we're in bed, just to be safe.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to give a quick update.

It's been a week since I brought new kitty (Zoe) home and things are going great. There was a lot of hissing a growling for the first few days but then one morning they seemed to declare a truce and were just kind of ignoring each other.

Now they're actually playing together and grooming each other! I couldn't be happier with how things turned out

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge:
it is those who know little, and not those who know much,
who so positively assert that this or that problem will
never be solved by science." - Charles Darwin
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Premier Cat

Glad all worked out well! I though it would from the start. Young cats and kittens are quite easy to assimilate; much easier than two older kitties. They are close enough in age that they will probably be life long friends now! Congratulations.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page