Do you take away live mice indoors? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Do you take away live mice indoors?

My cat was making a racket all night and I couldn't figure out why since she tends to sleep at night. Well sure enough, this morning we found out she'd been playing with a mouse. She is indoor only for now, so this is an unpleasant surprise. The thing is, the mouse seemed tired but not really injured. Our cat was basically just playing with it. We decided to take matters into our own hands and take it away, because we were afraid she would lose the mouse somewhere in the apartment. I mean she would stare at it, wait for it to move, and then whine by the closets if the mouse got in there, waiting for us to provide access to the toy. If she had killed it and started eating it, then we would have let them be... Clearly I don't want to discourage her from chasing mice (especially indoors!!!), so I gave her treats and praised her when we took the mouse away.

Is that normal? Shouldn't my cat kill and eat mice rather than play with them? What would you have done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Premier Cat

Would I take it away? yes - because I love all animals and don't want to see anything terrorized or toyed with - even a mouse. The cat will certainly kill and eat it once it gets hungry enough.
p.s., may want to find the access point!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 PM
Tom Cat

Casie would kill any mouse she found when she was younger. She would always eat half and leave the rest for me. >.>

Cherry has come across two mice. The first one, she just played with. You could hear the poor thing squeaking. I was hoping she'd just kill it, but eventually we decided to catch it on our own. My dad ended up accidentally slamming it in the door.

The second one she killed. Not sure if she noticed she killed it. I just found it lying dead on the floor.

Depending on how easy it'd be for me to catch, I'll usually take them away.

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
p.s., may want to find the access point!!
We live in an old apartment building with multiple potential access points. So this is probably going to happen from time to time until we finish our degrees and move to a better place.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Cool Cat

My cats have never gotten a mouse, but if they did, I would take it away.

Your cat is behaving normally. Cats... um... play with their food. She would probably have eaten it eventually.

It's not a pleasant death for the mouse, and the mouse could hurt your cat in the struggle or give your cat parasites when it is eaten. There's no reason a well-fed cat needs to eat a live mouse - it's instinct, but not necessity. I don't think there's any good to be found in subjecting a mouse to feline cruelty. The cat doesn't mean to be cruel, of course, it's just their nature to act that way... but the result for the mouse is still painful, and there's no need for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manue View Post
Is that normal? Shouldn't my cat kill and eat mice rather than play with them? What would you have done?
Yes, a lot of cats that are well fed have no interest in killing what they've caught or even eating it... if they kill it, the game is over and they leave it for the humans to find. It's more of a game to them. And of course we take it away... they've had their fun in bringing it to us, who knows how long they've already been playing with the poor thing. It could be critically injured.

Once I saw Blacky on the stairs and thought it was odd but carried on. 10 minutes later I saw she was still there laying in the same odd position. I started down the stairs and she got up... and out ran a mouse! She was laying on it all that time. Anyway, she pretty much anyways brings the mice inside alive.

It's fairly easy to catch a mouse that's loose in your house. All you need in a dog with a good nose ... kidding! But it really does help locate them -- I've watched Coco take huge lungfuls of air when she knew a mouse was in the room and then gone and pinpointed its location for us. Really, just get a cardboard box with a hole in it. Mice run along walls, and will run straight into the box.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 02-27-2013 at 02:39 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Senior Cat

I would take the mouse away. I just cannot watch any animal dying slow painful death..

Anna + Josie and Blackberry
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:43 PM
Cat Addict

I only had one experience with this. I had a dead mouse prominently displayed for me on my computer keyboard when I woke up one morning. Since it wasn't eaten, I assume the killing had been more for amusement than for hunting/food (and also to give me a gift).

If I had been awake and known there was a torture session taking place, I would have put a stop to it and put the mouse outside.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebraskaCat View Post
If I had been awake and known there was a torture session taking place, I would have put a stop to it and put the mouse outside.
All things considered, given the Canadian winter we've been having I'm not so sure that's a much kinder fate.

Anyhow, it led to an awkward/funny moment where we were both staring at the mouse and at our excited kitty and thinking, well that mouse doesn't look remotely like it's about to die, what to do now...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Tom Cat

I think I would have to take it away. I am a softy for all animals, especially little brown house mice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page