does your cat take a swipe at his bowl? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

does your cat take a swipe at his bowl?

my first two cats never did, but baci always takes a swipe at his bowl before i put it down. he even swings at the cat food spoon when i get it out from under the sink (they're spoons that fell in the garbage disposal and i don't want them mixed with mine), which i think is hilarious. now the youngest one has started doing it too. i can't tell if it's like, "HURRY!!" or "YAY FOOD!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderflower View Post
i can't tell if it's like, "HURRY!!" or "YAY FOOD!"
I choose (c) all of the above

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:41 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
Yeah, all of the above. I have trained my cats they may not swipe at the utensils or bowls or anything in my hand and must wait until I set the food on the floor before they can move toward it. Even the ferals catch on to this after a little training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:41 AM
Senior Cat

My kitten used to do this when he was younger, it would irk me to no end, food would go flying everywhere! I just learned to time it and give him a quick pat on the nose, when he would do that. He finally learned that it's not something to do and now waits patiently for his meals
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Senior Cat

My cats have learned to sit in their own meal spots and wait for me to put their dish in front of them.

Last edited by marie73; 02-28-2013 at 03:49 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 AM
Senior Cat

My kitten gets really excited and will swipe at the can of food when I pick it up to open it. Then she puts her feet up against the cabinets and meows REALLY loud, and does a dance and jumps while I put the dish down. She used to get on the counter, but she learned that I just put her down when she does that, and it takes longer to get her food that way. The other two just kind of circle my feet as im getting it ready. I think its really cute when she swipes, she does it nice, doesnt use claws or anything

"Help control the pet population, have your pets spayed or neutered" - Bob Barker
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Senior Cat

My little black kitty will jump for my hand when I'm doling out the food. She's pretty silly like that. I have another who will climb into the dry food container if I leave the lid off. Silly kitties.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan841 View Post
I think its really cute when she swipes, she does it nice, doesnt use claws or anything
so do i! i didn't mean they do it in a mean way, it's cute because it's almost like they're reaching for the bowl or spoon and want me to hand it to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof7kitties View Post
My little black kitty will jump for my hand when I'm doling out the food. She's pretty silly like that. I have another who will climb into the dry food container if I leave the lid off. Silly kitties.
i have never forgotten to close up dry food, but i have left the lid off the litter bucket when i was changing it and two of my cats have climbed into it. one went #1 and the other, #2. i didn't really think this was cute but it was my fault.

i didn't train them or anything, but all three of mine line up and sit very politely, waiting for their food. houdini doesn't swipe until the dish is almost on the floor, and baci goes for the spoon more often. any time i've spilled cat food (threw a whole gladware container on the refrigerator and the wall LOL because i had the lid not tight so i could microwave it. it slipped, i tried to grab it and just got the cover and the rest went airborne) it's my clumsy fault, not the cats.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Cat

I actually have a couple plastic spoons that my cats play with..they love to chew on them and throw them around.

One of my cats use to love to grab my arm when I was eating dinner to smell up my fork real good to check out what I was eating. He was always stronger then I expected lol
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Cat Addict

No mine just try to trip me with all their meowing and walking around my legs while I get their food!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page