behaviors when cat die? your experience? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Unhappy behaviors when cat die? your experience?

So..my boy Cesar...I worry he could be dying. I know this is a broad spectrum here... He's been to the vet...vet said he had a "little bit" of pancreitis. He lost weight fast, wasn't keeping things down...then lost appetite. little off things in his normal behavior. This was thought to be under control...but after a couple weeks, he's looking thin again and is very restless at night, wanting to eat a lot, no longer liking to be held (clearly uncomfortable) and getting very cranky with other cats when they want to play. The vet has done x-rays and blood work..twice. So I dunno. To me these are the first signs...It was a year, but I first started noticing my Bently boy going down hill with similar symptoms. Thoughts? what have you're experiences been?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Tom Cat

How old is Cesar? Does Cesar sleep alot? Does he have arthritis? What did his blood work show?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Cesar is 10. I guess other then the pancreitis everything was more or less normal. He does have something a little off that has to do with his muscles I guess, weakness more or less as described to me. He does sleep a lot. Lately more then then the normal and also more needy when he is up. Don't think he has arthritis (assume some forms would show up in testing like with us?)..the restlessness is fairly new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Tom Cat

Is the weakness in his hind legs? Has he been tested for a uti? Usually, when pets are dying, their bodies start shutting down where they don't want to eat or drink.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

legs seem fine. the last 2 cats that have been in my life that passed were still eating, so I don't find that to be always true. Like I said...with Bentley I noticed things slowly...wasn't all at once Though Cesar's eating habbits are not quite his norm either...

Last edited by Amy83; 02-27-2013 at 09:44 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Tom Cat

behaviors when cat die? your experience?

Hmm, I don't know. My KC (almost 14) has alot of health problems. He just had a UTI & is done with his meds but I can tell something is still not right in his rear end. He has a lot of the same behaviors as you described with Cesar. Same as you, my vet has done blood & X-rays. There was a shadow on one of his kidneys that was on the X-ray.

Maybe just keep watching Cesar & see how he does over the next few days. Make sure he is still eating, drinking & using the litterbox.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

R.I.P. Patches (1998 - 12/3/10) & KC (4/9/99 - 3/13/13)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Cat Addict

No two cases are completely the same - I think all you can do is keep track of what is happening and reacting.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Senior Cat

Ten is still young these days for kitties but he may have something else going on inside. I know when my dogs started showing signs of slowing down I started them on arthritis meds to help with their joints and bought memory foam beds and ramps for the stairs. I just try to make things a lot easier for them as they get older. Just as humans need adjustments with our age so do our babies. Arianwen is right in that maybe you should keep a journal about his symptoms and what you've noticed about him. It may help.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Tom Cat

behaviors when cat die? your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumof7kitties View Post
Ten is still young these days for kitties but he may have something else going on inside. I know when my dogs started showing signs of slowing down I started them on arthritis meds to help with their joints and bought memory foam beds and ramps for the stairs. I just try to make things a lot easier for them as they get older. Just as humans need adjustments with our age so do our babies. Arianwen is right in that maybe you should keep a journal about his symptoms and what you've noticed about him. It may help.
Where did you get memory foam pet beds from? I would be interested in this.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

R.I.P. Patches (1998 - 12/3/10) & KC (4/9/99 - 3/13/13)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Cat Addict

my first cat died when he was 17. i took him to the vet for blood work three times in a year, and they kept telling me his t-4 level was normal.

i didn't know to ask what it should be. i now have one who's 16, and she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 2 1/2 years ago. at first her level was 13 (normal is .08 - 4.0) and after three months it went down to 2.1. however, about 18 months into it, her level went back to 4. he still said it was normal, but i've found out that in medicated cats, it should be closer to 2.0. he okayed me increasing her dosage and she's fine.

eating a lot but losing or at least not gaining weight, and acting agitated or hyperactive (meowing a lot, trying to go outside if he didn't before, etc.) vomiting, and i forget what else, are signs of (but not limited to) hyperthyroidism so you might want to ask what his is, and if it's over 2.0, see if your vet thinks medication would be appropriate. diotima started to lose weight again at 4.0, so even though it's in the normal range, it was too high for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page