Possessive behavior? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Possessive behavior?

Every likes to think that their furball is special and unique - and I'm no different.

I know Bengals can exhibit dog-like behavior. Toby has no aggression and usually doesn't care how we play or if I take his toys. But every now and then he acts like he is in this video. And the odd thing is, the toy in the video is hardly one of his favorites.

Does your cat often have this possessive behavior? (he doesn't have green devil eyes, it's just the camera light)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Cat

Looks familiar!
My ragdoll Teddy (who is supposed to have a ragdoll laid back personality) does this often, usually with his fish on a stick, or a milk cap plastic thingy... And growls, if you try to take it away! He has his crazy moments, but they don't last too long.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 09:52 PM
Cat Addict

Toby is stunning!

Jasper plays fetch, meaning he happily drops the toy back at my feet and allows me to pick it up... but break out a wand toy, and he does not let go! He wants to drag it off. He (last I tried) starts growling too, so I pretty much don't use wand toys since he breaks them immediately. I think he's still a little feral in a few of his behaviors.

Blacky and Blaze aren't possessive over anything. Blacky is more like the queen of indifference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 02-27-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Jr. Cat

My little Ocicat gets like that I have this faux-fur tail that I made for my dog to chew on, but my kitten has taken to it. When I throw it, she bolts after it, slides across the floor, and knocks into a wall. She'll then either fetch it back for me to throw again, or roll around biting at it. Just a couple hours ago, she carried it down two flights of stairs and dropped it in my lap. She does have moment like your bengal (who, oh my god, is so gorgeous), where she'll tug of war with me, refusing to let it go.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Cat

Skooma gets mad and will yowl, swat and hiss when I try to remove her from food. Toys, she could care less.

Sugar has only growled at me once; I had frozen mice for Skooma and she liked to steal them. But since she didn't eat them and played until they ripped open, I would have to separate her from her favourite dead thing. She has swatted and growled at me when I take them away.

Otherwise, Sugar likes dragging stuff off generally. Toys, food, etc.

Your boy is gorgeous, btw! And that behaviour is adorable no matter how cranky he may get!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:55 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
How DARE you try and take his kill! He found it fair and square... He is showing normal possessive behavior like I have seen hundreds of times while watching ferals. Does he ever call aloud when he has his 'prey' in his mouth? My Max will find a toy or a plastic lid and will carry it around the house "mer-row"-ing very loudly. Another natural behavior with the tom announcing he is coming back with food for the mother and kittens. Sometimes he will do this for up to an hour.

That is one beautiful cat you have.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 05:01 AM
Cat

Possessive behavior?

Lenny is half Bengal and I'd like to get in this situation and see what he does... At the moment (I think it's due to still bring young) doesn't like big toys so even if he had a toy in his mouth I couldn't really grab it! Your boy is so gorgeous too! Such a bright coat!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Actually I think I got a broken Bengal. He's not overly vocal, not possessive even with food. He'll only play like the video of once in a while, though will play tug on most wand toys. He will go in the shower with me though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page