Bed time problems! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Bed time problems!

Hi all, this is my first proper posts since joining, apart from my hi in the welcome section.

My new kitty Max is on the whole pretty well behaved, he's almost 20 weeks old and is learning well, esp as we haven't even had him quite a week yet, what's ok and what isn't (with the help of a spray gun, treats, distracting him with toys & being ignored when he's naughty).

The main issue I am having is bed time, it doesn't seem to matter what sort of mood he's in before going to bed, be it chilled and having cuddles, just had a play session or having just been fed etc, he seems to associate me being in bed as time for him to go physco for at least an hour, last night he didn't stop at all so spent the night in the kitchen, which he didn't like and I would rather he be allowed free range at night and not be locked in the one room, any ideas would be great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Tom Cat

Bed time problems!

This is a common issue. Often, some serious playtime followed by a big meal helps prevent this.

An hour before you go to bed, wear him out playing, then feed him his largest meal of the day. This also satisfies the hunt (play) and eat instinct. The next natural progression is grooming and sleep.

Also at around 5 months old, you probably will have a little psycho on your hands for a while. He's energetic. It's a matter of working out all of that energy.

At 1yr, my kitten still doesn't sleep with me because no sleeping would ever get done. He does behave himself out in the rest of the apartment though, I just keep the bedroom closed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg74 View Post
Hi all, this is my first proper posts since joining, apart from my hi in the welcome section.

My new kitty Max is on the whole pretty well behaved, he's almost 20 weeks old and is learning well, esp as we haven't even had him quite a week yet, what's ok and what isn't (with the help of a spray gun, treats, distracting him with toys & being ignored when he's naughty).

The main issue I am having is bed time, it doesn't seem to matter what sort of mood he's in before going to bed, be it chilled and having cuddles, just had a play session or having just been fed etc, he seems to associate me being in bed as time for him to go physco for at least an hour, last night he didn't stop at all so spent the night in the kitchen, which he didn't like and I would rather he be allowed free range at night and not be locked in the one room, any ideas would be great!!
What you would prefer and what is best for YOU are two separate things. He can earn whole house priviledges when he gets older. He is not being abused by closing a door. He is still a baby and it may be years before he slows (calms) down enough to act civil at night. My husband go to bed early - 8:30 sometimes and we sleep peacefully until about 5:30 when everyone wakes up. Our youngest is 3 and has adapted to the schedule beautifully. Max will learn, but it will take awhile. Meanwhile sleep well by yourself and occasionally let him snuggle with you, but if he acts up, into the kitchen he goes. He'll learn.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the advice guys, Marcia, I had pretty much decieded what you had advised, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't stressing him out too much by doing this, he is very vocal for a while after being locked in the kitchen, Sunday night he was physco for hours and wouldn't settle so I put him in there about 12:30, Monday night he was calmed down and cuddled up asleep next to me after about 30 mins, which is ok, and was still there when I woke up at 8am, last night looked to be a repeat of Sunday so didn't let him calm down, he got 30 mins, where I did try some gentle play with his fav stuffed dog, but he was getting worse so was straight into the kitchen and was all happy and love this morning with my house mate when he got up (before me!) so I think this is what I will do, he gets 30 mins at night, if he shows no signs of settling then its the kitchen for him, his food, litter, most of his toys, fav blanket etc are in there and its a decent size, it just gets a bit chilly at night(its a rather large old Edwardian house). He's off for his snip'n'chip (as I like to call it call it, neuturing and microchiping obv) next Friday so hopefully that might help, in a few weeks I am getting a microchip reading catflap installed so he can tire himself out a bit more durring the day, though I am going to set it so it wont let him out between 10pm and 7am.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 AM
Premier Cat

The snip part will definitely help calm the savage beast in him! Just remember he is still very much a baby and will be until almost 3 years old. This will take time, but you are on the right track. Maybe a nice heated pad or cuddle bed will help with the chills, but I would not worry about it. My house gets down to 60F at night here and 3 of the 5 cats will even sleep outside on a screened in porch when it is in the 30's!! Don't fret and sleep well!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I think & hope it will too, I would have liked to have got him done this week, I'm off work tomorrow but working all weekend so am leaving it to next friday when I have a week off to make sure he's ok and spend some quality time with him, I hope it wont calm him too much as he is such good fun and both me and my house mate get a lot of fun out of him, he has to investigate everything and everyone that comes into the house and has a lot of love, he follows us around everywhere!
Though last night he was pretty subdued all evening, not that interested in play, I should have known he was saving it for bedtime!! lol

Last edited by ajg74; 02-28-2013 at 08:03 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Senior Cat

ALL cats get lively after bedtime. It's the time that they'd be hunting if they were in the wild. Combine that with being a kitten and well, you're in for a wild ride for a bit. They'll settle down after a while. I sleep with my two 9 month olds in my bedroom as well as one of my 1 year olds and sometimes they still decide to wake up at 2am and start screaming around the room acting all crazy. I have NO idea how my husband sleeps through it all because I can't sleep through cats doing jigs and trampoline bounces off of my stomach or butt. Thankfully they only get wild for about 30 minutes or so but it sucks when I've got class in the morning! Ha.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajg74 View Post
I hope it wont calm him too much as he is such good fun and both me and my house mate get a lot of fun out of him
i don't think it will change him that much. i got all of my last three as kittens (6 months, 8 weeks and 20 weeks) and it didn't change them noticeably. the first was female, went into heat (although supposedly she was already fixed) and went to the vet the same week i got her, the second one i didn't neuter until he was 11 months, and the 20 week-old was already snipped when i adopted him. the psycho stage is normal. they tear up all their toys and can be entertained by a kleenex for hours.

they don't really settle down until they're about 3.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Senior Cat

It definitely won't change him. I got my kitten snipped at 5 months and he still tears around like he's lost his mind once or twice a day! He settled down for a week (I locked him in the 'hospital suite' AKA the bathroom) but shortly after he started becoming more spunky. Usually right at about 5am he starts chasing one of the older ones and using me as a spring board (BOING!). Which is fine for me because that's the time that I'm getting up to feed them anyway.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Cat Addict

My cats sleep for awhile and I rearrange boxes and things so when they get active at night they have some things to do. I can tell they have been doing their things by the ways things look when I get up. I call it, Kitty Go Wild time. I had to train the talkative one to stop howling by my bedroom door to come in and she learned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page