Kitten is a bully? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Kitten is a bully?

So my baby kitten is growing fast he is about 3 months now and he won't leave my older cat alone. He eats from Goshas bowl and wont touch his own, he seats and sleeps in Gosha's spots, he plays with Goshas toys and always wants to wrestle with Gosha. Gosha on the other hand is very timid cat, he does play with kitten and wrestle but he will step aside when kitten eats from his bowl or leaves when kitten tries to take his sleeping spot. Is this normal behavior or kitten is being a bully? How do I even them out for each other?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gosha - shy 5 y.o. Rasta - vicious kitten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Jr. Cat

My kitten does the same thing! She's a cheeky little girl....she also uses his litter box right in front of him. Poor guy, I think he's baffled by the whole thing :] She'll also try to stalk and chase him every now and then. Not aggressively, just playfully.
I wouldn't worry too much about your kitten eating from Gosha's bowl, and such. Your kitten is just becoming the dominant cat.
I've got a similar chain of command in my house, and it seems to be inverse to their weight. Tiny 5.3 pound kitten is the boss, shoving everyone off their food dishes and beds, larger 17 pound cat is next in charge, and gigantic 110 Leonberger is at the bottom of the pecking order. It's not bullying, it's just natural animal behaviour :3
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Premier Cat

Yep, same here. Winston is also a bully with Nyska and Cabbit. He is always pushing the others out of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:29 PM
Cat Addict

same here. houdini is three and baci is six and he's been beating him up the last two years, even when he only weighed about five pounds. baci is more like 11 1/2, and it's not even a question that he could take him, but he runs and i have to protect him lol. he doesn't draw blood but it gets serious and there will be little clumps of hair scattered around. he doesn't bother the grandma very often, so i think he just wants to be the boss.

but overall he's a very sweet kitty and he mimics diotima's behavior. baci never would sit on my lap, diotima is almost glued to it and houdini will come and horn in. he does it in bed, too. he will try to take her food before she's finished, (so will baci though) so i have to pick up dishes with any leftover food. sometimes i even take her with her dish into the bed s she can eat in peace. they haven't caught on to what i'm doing yet.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Premier Cat

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, Winston is also the baby. He is very sweet kitty, he just likes to be top cat around the other cats.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh wow, it seems like kittens can take over. I wonder why a big cat won't dominate the kitten? I mean the kitten weighs like a feather. One swing or growl and he'd be in check, but older cat never does it. Do they think baby is not a threat and they dont have to establish dominance? Baby is visious and his bites are strong, the other day i gave him a treat and he bit my finger and punctured it o the blood, my older never bites or scratches. When they play Gosha is gentle comparing to baby, kitten bites like his really fighting and does those bunny kicks. Im afraid baby will grow up thinking its ok to mollywhop Gosha like that and take all his food and toys.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Oh wow, it seems like kittens can take over. I wonder why a big cat won't dominate the kitten? I mean the kitten weighs like a feather. One swing or growl and he'd be in check, but older cat never does it. Do they think baby is not a threat and they dont have to establish dominance? Baby is visious and his bites are strong, the other day i gave him a treat and he bit my finger and punctured it o the blood, my older never bites or scratches. When they play Gosha is gentle comparing to baby, kitten bites like his really fighting and does those bunny kicks. Im afraid baby will grow up thinking its ok to mollywhop Gosha like that and take all his food and toys.
Yikes! How young was your kitten when you got him? If they're taken from their mothers and siblings too early, they sometimes don't learn all their proper manners. My kitten arrived at my house thinking my hands and feet were playthings, but I quickly taught her to back off. I just did a firm no, and held a finger in front of her face, and she seemed to get the message.

She's a little fireball, though! My poor tabby thought he'd return the favour and eat from her bowl. She sent him running pretty fast. She did the funniest little double-wallop, like a prize fighter!

I think these kittens are like stroppy teenagers :] Hopefully they'll calm down a bit when they get older. Has he been neutered yet? That might also help
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaFay View Post
Yikes! How young was your kitten when you got him? If they're taken from their mothers and siblings too early, they sometimes don't learn all their proper manners. My kitten arrived at my house thinking my hands and feet were playthings, but I quickly taught her to back off. I just did a firm no, and held a finger in front of her face, and she seemed to get the message.

She's a little fireball, though! My poor tabby thought he'd return the favour and eat from her bowl. She sent him running pretty fast. She did the funniest little double-wallop, like a prize fighter!

I think these kittens are like stroppy teenagers :] Hopefully they'll calm down a bit when they get older. Has he been neutered yet? That might also help
We got him 8 weeks old from a shelter and he was there with his mom and 4 siblings. The were all neutred and had their vaccines, litter box trained all standard things shelter does. I hope he will mellow down but I think this is his personality. I remeber when we got Gosha at the same age he was hyper like all kittens but he was also a very nice soft kitty, he was very easy going and didnt scratch or bite hard, i seriously cant recall i ever was scratched or biten by him, even when i have to put him in a carrier to go to vet its like ultimate scary thing for him, he tries to get out but wont use his claws on me, he can tear the carrier apart but wont touch me. This baby on the other hand is a trouble maker l can tell how he just goes evergwhere and he is the king o f evething and everyone lol this is the case of cat thinking humans are his peasants. My older cat never goes on the counter or table in front of me, that is something unthinkable, although i know he does when im not there but baby just lays in the middle of the table and wont get off unless you squirt him with a bottle lol

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Premier Cat

He is just asserting his dominance as the alpha cat. If they are not fighting I wouldn't worry about it. Bullying is a human word we put on those that establish superiority or dominance.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page