I Need A Vacation, But... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy I Need A Vacation, But...

I really want/need a few days away from home, but I have three cats that have never spent a night without me close. Actually, the youngest—3 yo—has never spent a night without me close. They are unfriendly and fearful of other people.

My cats are indoor cats, but they have a safe area in the fenced backyard where they can go out daily and spend time outside. One uses his outside space as a litter box. The outside time will not happen while I am away.

I have a friend that is familiar with my cats and has offered to drop in daily to clean litter boxes and make sure food and water are in good shape.

I am extremely worried about my away time—maybe four days or so—but, I really need a vacation. Should I be worried?

I hope others can provide a bit of insight and experience to help me figure out the best way to handle this.

Fearful in Texas....
Icebox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Premier Cat

Go - have a good time and don't fret!! Otherwise you are going to be spending the next 15 - 20 years never going anywhere! Let your friend sub for you and have a good time. I have 5 indoor cats and travel once or twice a year, tops. When I do go I am only gone for a few days at a time. It is seamless with my friend who comes over and visits with them while I am gone and they don't even miss me. TRUST me, it will be fine. Now that we have solved that problem where will you be going???

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Premier Cat

Icebox, I JUST went through this. I haven't been away from MowMow since I got him 5 years ago(with one hospital stay and my mom came and stayed with them while I was gone).

At Christmas I really needed to visit my family so I interviewed pet sitters (6 months before my vacation) and picked the one that seemed like the most trustworthy and the boys both really took to her. A few people in my complex used her so I contacted them and they gave her GLOWING recommendations. She came 3 times a day while I was gone and sent me a text and a picture of them both every single night while I was gone.

When I got home they didn't seem to even care I'd been gone ad next time I know that twice a day visit will be plenty.

Do it, it is SUCH a relief to know I'm not tied to the apartment any longer. I can go away if I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the replies. I enjoy baseball so I am heading over to Arizona to enjoy a couple days of Spring Training Baseball and the desert sun in the Valley of the Sun...Phoenix/Surprise, AZ.

I tend to be a worrier so this simply fits in with my normal self. I know they will be fine and since it is a friend that doesn't mind cleaning/smelling any possible messes then it should be ok for four days or so.

Thanks for the replies and any future input/replies.

IceBox in Texas
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 04:39 PM
Tom Cat

I Need A Vacation, But...

At least you have a trustworthy friend that will take care of them while you are away. We don't have anyone near us that I can trust in my house. We would have to board out pets. We have boarded our dog and I worried myself sick about it. But, I called & checked on her everyday & she was so excited to see us when we picked her up. She was boarded for 10 days. My mom watched my cat, KC at her house.

Now that we have Shadow too, we would have to board all 3. Luckily, our vet has boarding.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

R.I.P. Patches (1998 - 12/3/10) & KC (4/9/99 - 3/13/13)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Cat Addict

Ya, at least you have a trustworthy friend to help out and kitty stays home. I am not so fortunate, I do not have cat loving friends, family members or neighbours who can help out and I have a hubby who didn't trust leaving the house to a total stranger.

ET is extremely timid and afraid of strangers, its hard leaving him. I missed 2 family trips out of country for a visitation to my in-law's home town last year cos I was worried about him and, twice, I was actually sooo glad I wasn't feeling well enough to travel. That gives me the excuse to miss the trip. Hubby had no choice but to leave me behind, alone with ET (I wanted him to go ahead, cos I knew he wanted very much to go).

But this year, just last week, I had to go, I have no more excuses to miss the trip and hubby wouldn't hear of it cos I missed 2 visitations last year. I tell you, I slept only about 1hr the nite before ET's boarding, worrying about everything about his 1st time boarding. Now that I looked back, everything turned out ok since ET came home, it turned out, the boarding has gotton him missing me and loving me more. I won't elaborate further, there are still some minor changes in his eating habits that I need to work on. There are always a 1st time for everything, I wouldn't hesitate to go away again the next time. So, I can understand how you feel.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Kitten

My son used to come over and feed our 2 cats when we went on vacation. but since our last vacation was last May for his wedding in Punta Cana, we had to find another option. We found a local pet sitter who came to meet the kitties about a month before we left. She said she would come in as many times a day as we required to feed and play with them. They are fine with once a day and things went very well. She had no problems and her fee was very reasonable. Had we taken them to a pet boarding place it would have cost over $400 for the week. She only charged $149. We are travelling again in July and will definitely have her back.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Premier Cat

Go on your vacation and have a good time, sounds like you need a break. The good thing is you have someone familiar with your cats that is willing to help. I also worry about the cats when I go away, but they have always been fine when I get back.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thumbs up

My friend happens to be my maid that comes every two weeks to do floors and heavy work. She has been around the cats more than anyone else and they have gotten to tolerate her—she's also a cat person. Although still very shy, and hiding, they are familiar enough with her to be comfortable.

I am not concerned with the two older cats because they are used to using the litter box full time, but the young one really wants to do his business out in the backyard safe area.

Anyway, she will be paid well; the cats know her and she can handle the messes if and when they occur.

Thank you all...
Icebox in Texas
P.S. I'll post a couple desert pictures from the SW US, TX NM AZ, when on vacation.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Premier Cat

At one time when I was on active duty we got emergency orders to go to sea. My husband (also active duty) was away for a 6 week school in another state. The Navy is not sympathetic to pets being left alone, so there was no recourse. My sweet neighbor came over every day - twice a day - to feed and sit with the cats. She would sit and read my magazines for hours while they took turns sitting on her lap. I was so blessed to have this wonderful neighbor. To this day I think long and hard about leaving, but I do it for a few days at a time.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page