Spraying Problem - HELP NEEDED ASAP - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Spraying Problem - HELP NEEDED ASAP

Hey Guys
I have a MAJOR problem with my cats spraying EVERYWHERE. I have tried every recommended fix to no avail. At this point I'm at my wits end. My house stinks of cat pee...I need help..BIG TIME.
Any advice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 02:45 AM
Cat Addict

Hello, and welcome!

Before anyone can give you any suggestions we need more info.

How many cats do you have, and how old are they? Are they all neutered/spayed? Indoor or outdoor, or some combo? Have they been checked by a vet (including a urinalysis) within the past few weeks? How many litter boxes do you have, and how frequently are they scooped?

Also, how long this has been happening, and if anything has changed recently. (Moving, new pet or baby, new room mate, etc) what have you tried in the past...'everything' isn't helpful since we don't know what that entails. We want to know exactly what you've done so we know what to suggest next

Welcome to you and your kitties, hopefully we can help you out!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Spraying

Before anyone can give you any suggestions we need more info.

How many cats do you have, and how old are they?
Too many!! LOL 11 cats

Are they all neutered/spayed?
Yes. All fixed

Indoor or outdoor, or some combo?
The door is open during the day so they come and go at will - everyone is locked in at night.

Have they been checked by a vet (including a urinalysis) within the past few weeks?
All are healthy and have regular check ups.

How many litter boxes do you have, and how frequently are they scooped?
They have access to 5 litter boxes at night - I know the rule is 1 + 1 per cat but its not feasible for me to have 11 plus boxes.

Also, how long this has been happening, and if anything has changed recently. (Moving, new pet or baby, new room mate, etc) what have you tried in the past...'everything' isn't helpful since we don't know what that entails. We want to know exactly what you've done so we know what to suggest next
Nothing new in the house, has been going on for at least a year.

I have tried all the recommended products, cleaning with bleach, the vinegar mix. I tried using the pheromone calming plug ins and sprays. I take 4 or 5 to my bedroom at night to split them up but now they too have started spraying in my bedroom
I totally get that a big part of the problem is the large number of cats...I didn't start out wanting 11 cats but I live on a farm and somehow ended up with all of them one way or another....rescues...ferals that moved in...kittens found at the side of the road...barn cats that were sick and came home with me "just to get better".....
Let me know if you need further info.
Thanks so much

Welcome to you and your kitties, hopefully we can help you out![/QUOTE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

forgot the ages..

Ages range from about 8 months to 8 years
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Cat Addict

With that many cats...yeah, that's likely your cause right there. I know we have/had members here in the past with that many and no issues, but unfortunately all it takes is one to trigger everyone.

If there are a few that you know don't get along then that is your most likely trigger. I mean, if you added a new kitty about the time it started then the stress of the intro is probably what started it, but I'd be willing to bet most (if not all) of the others has joined in.

I know you said they've had checkups, but without a urinalysis one of them having a UTI can't be ruled out. That being said it's not really an option to have them all tested.

I'm not really sure what you can do on this case...if you could pinpoint one or two that are instigating the issue you could confine them separately and retrain while cleaning the house and hoping everyone else just stops with the troublemakers re-spraying.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Premier Cat

You said you'd tried cleaning with bleach and vinegar. Have you tried Nature's Miracle - or another poster recommended something called Perfect Solution to clean the areas? The reason they're more effective than other cleaners is that they remove the pheromone scents. Maybe that would help.

As librarychick said, if you could separate the kitties who don't get along with each other, that might help. How many male cats do you have? Do you have space where you could keep one group in one space and one group in a separate space when they're inside with you. It looks like you're going to need to keep your bedroom door closed though if you don't want to completely lose your mind.

Wow, putting up with this for a year. That's dedication!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 05:24 PM
Premier Cat

Not always, but it's usually the boys who spray. Of course females in heat will spray, but yours are all fixed. I agree they should be separated at night. I would keep the girls together if they all get along, and have a separate room that's easy to clean for the boys. Do you know which ones are doing the spraying? Unfortunately, once some males get in the habit of spraying it's almost impossible to break them of the habit. Can you lock them in the barn or garage for the night? Good luck!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page