Concerned about cats fighting - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Concerned about cats fighting

Hi, I've not been here in a while so hello everyone!
My two male cats are 2 years old now. They are brothers and have always gotten on well with the occasional fights.

But my concern is it's almost always, if not always, instigated by the tabby. And the poor black one, who's actually the dominant one when it comes to food time, but also has a very gentle, sensitive demeanor, has to fend off the tabby constantly. The black cat can be sleeping and he'll have the tabby jumping on him, biting, swiping. They start hissing and growling so much I worry and end up separating them into different rooms, just to give the black cat a break. He's so sweet, skittish and gentle and the tabby is incredibly energetic/hyper LOL, loves aggressive play and just seems to have it in for the black one sometimes. All other times they are lovely with each other.

I just dont know what's gotten into the tabby and how do i deal with this when it happens? I try to distract the tabby myself and play with him but i can't watch them all the time...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Senior Cat

Concerned about cats fighting

Are they actually knock down drag it out fighting and going for blood? Cats "fight" all the time in play and it can freak a lot of people out with the sound.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Cat

I will listen to this carefully Mine fight a lot, and I just don't know what is normal fighting, and what is too much. The noises the tiny kitten makes are scary sometimes, but she does not run away for the most part after fights, and wants more
(they sleep and eat together with no problem though)

As the author of the topic I wonder what should a human do in these cases..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 11:00 PM
Jr. Cat

I actually haven't seen a lot of cat fights (lucky!), but I have seen dogs playing and fighting. A lot of people mistake rough dog play for fighting, but in reality the dogs are having fun and holding back and just mouthing each other and rolling around. In a real dog fight, one dog will just clamp down on the other and try to really truly kill the other dog, and there will be horrible sounds like the dogs screaming.

To me it sounds like one cat is trying to play and the other is getting mad. My kittens do this to my older cat- swat at his tail and he gets angry and starts twitching his tail and giving them dirty looks and will hiss if they don't stop. For everyone's sake, when I see this I grab the kittens and play with them to tire them out or at least put them in a separate area so they can't mess with him (he is old and needs a break!). Not a fight though and 90% of the time they are cuddling together or playing because they like each other.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
The only real question that matters is whether the cats are ripping hair out of one another and/or drawing blood and causing bleeding wounds. If this is not happening, you do not need to worry about it. If the males are having a dominance disagreement, it will continue until they reach a consensus between them as to who is the more dominant and who the less dominant. If the problem is tabby wants to play and blackie does not, then it will continue until blackie makes it clear he is not going to play and tabbie gets the message and stops trying to make blackie play. Exactly why they behave in this manner is less important than if they are actually hurting one another. If no one is being actually injured, ignore the behavior and let them settle the problem between them. You interrupting their dominance tiffs will not help and actually prolong the fighting.

Remember: No injuries, no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page