New cats won't come downstairs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

New cats won't come downstairs

A week ago I adopted two cats from Kitty Angels, an organization that rescues kittens from feral colonies, foster-raises them and finds them homes. They're a 6 month-old boy, Jacob, and a 5 month old girl, Josie. They are the sweetest, most affectionate cats I've ever had - they love to be handled, petted, and get their tummies rubbed, and they have loud purrs.

For the first couple of days I kept them in one room til they got used to me, then I started leaving the door open so they could explore the house. But they don't like to come downstairs. They sneak downstairs briefly when I'm not there but they run back up at the slightest noise.

I have a largish open-concept house. The upstairs has a hallway opening onto various bedrooms and bathrooms and an open area I call the 'loft' which I use for gym equipment. The loft forms a bridge over the middle of the downstairs with overlooking balconies. The cats will go into the loft, but that's all.

The downstairs has a big cat tree, lots of room to run around and a sunny atrium with a great view of the forest behind my house and bird-feeders so I think they'd love it.

Downstairs view of loft

Upstairs view of loft

I've tried taking them downstairs but they run back up as fast as they can. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Jr. Cat

You have a beautiful space, I love the open concept! They're probably just overwhelmed with all of the space, give them a little more time to adjust and they should be fine. Good luck!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Cat

You have a beautiful home. I agree with aniela26 they may just be overwhelmed by all the space. Before you know it they'll be just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Senior Cat

It took quite some time before my girls would go downstairs in my house. Your kitties will get comfortable with it in their own time. What got mine downstairs was a new area rug several months after the adoption. They just HAD to go check it out, and ooh, why haven't we been hanging out here more???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Jr. Cat

When I was in school and only had one cat we moved into a very large duplex. My cat is very brave and very social and has always loved lots of people, never been a hider, etc. But when we moved there he didn't venture away from upstairs (where my room was) for a month or so. He was perfectly happy just hanging around upstairs and if we brought him down he'd just trot back up. Eventually he got over it and was running around like he owned the place. Cats just take time to adjust...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
Patience. They will slowly expore the house one room at a time and make their way all around it. They know they are in a strange place and are looking around carefully to make sure there are 1) no cats who own the area and will fight them and 2) no other animals that might attack them. They know they are safe in the room they started out in and they think of that room as their territory now; if needed, they would fight to keep it their territory. Just let them find out about the house on their own and within a month, they will be looking at the house as theirs and theirs ownly.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 AM
Senior Cat

They will come downstairs, just give them some time. My girl Josie what a wonderful name came downstairs after a full month of living exclusively upstairs. Time and patience. And don't push them. They will do it when they are comfortable

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Anna + Josie and Blackberry
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 AM
Senior Cat

I want to live in your house! Haha. It's really beautiful.

As the others have said, your babies will come down once they're comfortable and ready. It will happen. It's not if but when.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Premier Cat

If you were 8" tall and 15" long you would be pretty intimidated by the granduer of the space, too. Give them time - you can be sure they are checking things out on their own at night! They will choose to join you in short order, maybe a week or two or more. They are young, they will adapt, just be patient!
I agree with mumof7kitties, it's not IF, but WHEN.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Cat Addict

Oz hid for ages in my much smaller house. It's not abnormal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page