If I adopt another cat will Booger's attachment to me change? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Cat

If I adopt another cat will Booger's attachment to me change?

I'm considering adopting a second cat but I'm concerned that Booger might forget how much he likes me if he has a fellow feline around. Some details: He's 8 years old, has always been an only cat, and we've been together since he was weaned. He's a really chill kitty so I think he'd be OK with a new member of the family. However, I worry that he'll stop seeking attention from me, sleeping with me, and "talking" to me if I find him a new friend.

Currently he wants to be touching me pretty much at all times. He loves being in my lap and he follows me from room to room. I did a few Google searches and saw that sometimes these affectionate behaviors cease when a new cat grabs the established cat's attention.

I'd appreciate hearing any experiences that you've had in a similar situation or any advice on how I should approach this. I don't *have* to adopt another cat if it will damage my relationship with Booger, I'm simply considering it because the shelter I volunteer at currently has some great cats that need a good home. Perhaps I should foster instead? Sorry, sort of thinking out loud a bit. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Premier Cat

Possibly. Maddie used to be a snuggle bug but then I adopted Lacey and she will only rarely sit on my lap now. She does not like Lacey and will not get too close if Lacey is on my lap. It may not be what you want to hear, but adding another cat WILL change the dynamics of your relationship - maybe for the better, maybe not. You need to weigh the costs and benefits you are willing to incur.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Cat Addict

This is every day with me. I fall in love at the shelter almost every shift and know I could provide a good home. But, so far, I've decided against it because my girls and I have settled into a comfortable place in our little family and I don't want to rock the boat. Adding someone new WILL create a new dynamic but it could be good, bad, or most likely, just new and different.

You mentioned fostering - this would be a way to introduce a new cat who needs attention and a good home in the short term (depending on what the foster situation is) and seeing how Booger responds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:15 PM
Cool Cat

My relationship with Zephyr didn't change after I adopted Maisie, but with that said, every cat is different and there are no guarantees that your experience will be like mine.

I would suggest that you try to work out a foster-to-adopt arrangement with the shelter near you. That is, ask them if you can take care of a cat in a fostering capacity for awhile, and you'll adopt if it works out. Not every organization is able to do that, but a lot of them will figure out a way to make it work if you explain the situation, since it's a win-win for them too as it frees up shelter space either way.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Cat Addict

Every time an introduction is made something in the dynamics alters but I have six cats and I can truthfully say that they are all very affectionate and have remained so throughout various introductions.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Jr. Cat

I got two kittens this summer and my older cat still loves to curl up beside me or on my lap. Also likes to cuddle my kittens. He has lived with different cats before and is very laid back so I wasn't worried. Like others said, there are no guarantees- I love the idea of fostering if possible.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:13 AM
Tom Cat

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermilk View Post
I got two kittens this summer and my older cat still loves to curl up beside me or on my lap. Also likes to cuddle my kittens. He has lived with different cats before and is very laid back so I wasn't worried. Like others said, there are no guarantees- I love the idea of fostering if possible.
That is so sweet! If I was able to, I'd adopt a foster kitten and train it to be as loving, caring & playful (without getting hurt, or accidentally hurting someone) as possible
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

At 8 years old and being so attached to you, I probably wouldn't. My relationship changed when I added more cats, and it never went back completely to how it was.

That said, you might want to try fostering to see how it goes.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Cool Cat

I would definitely vote for fostering first instead so that you don't commit to anything yet. I love all 3 kitties we have at home right now, but I admit I am nostalgic for the days when we just had our 1st baby and she had us all to herself. I miss the days when i would just come home from work and lie down next to her on the floor and read to her or watch movies with her. Now, sadly, I don't have the time to do that anymore because we discovered she really would have preferred to be an only cat and so now we have a bit of a divided household and we have to divide our attention and even when we do have 2 or more kitties in the same room, there is always a bit of contention and fight for territory so our 1st kitty is always on edge a bit.

I'm afraid we did her a a disservice by adopting others whom we HOPED would be her pals. good luck in your own situation.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Based on what y'all are telling me it's pretty much as I feared. Many thanks for being honest -- I'll check with the shelter about fostering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page